Sharepoint and Project Professional 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• A couple of weeks ago one of my employees ran into an issue with Project Professional 2010 crashing on her.

I did some troubleshooting, and found that Project only crashes when I try to open more than one document from Windows Explorer view.  If I have Project open and use the File --> Open method, I am able to open multiple documents without having it crash. 

I checked everything on her computer from hardware, to bad sectors, Windows restore, ect.  I was advised to just leave the issue alone since there was a workaround.  Of course I wasn't satisfied with this solution, so I did some more exploring today and found the following:

Project Professional crashes only when opening more than one document from Windows Explorer view using Sharepoint.  The employee keeps all of her files on Sharepoint and opens/edit the documents from Sharepoint.  I tried pulling a couple of her Project docs into her documents folder on her personal machine, opened both of them, and it worked just fine.

Does anyone know why Project Pro would crash when opening multiple documents in Windows Explorer view from Sharepoint?  We are running Sharepoint 2010.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 4:29 PM

Answers

• Hello,

The crash occurs because Project 2010 does not get the correct file information from DavWWWRoot folder if winproj process exists.

I am afraid that this problem has been identified as a problem with SharePoint Server 2010 and a known issue has been filed. Fortunately, the fix has been checked into build 14.0.5126.5000. Please keep aware of the latest update in SharePoint 2010 update center and follow the official guide to apply the updates if the fix is available.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks & Regards.

Lily Wu
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:16 AM
    Monday, October 25, 2010 5:53 AM