none
OEM & KMS Activation RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Windows 2008 R2 from a ISO and i went to activate it using the OEM supplied key stuck on the front of the server however the KMS server activated it before i had a chance to try and enter the key. I get the product key is invalid when i try and change the key.

I have a horrible feeling that i am going to have to rebuild the server using different media to get this to work but my query is do i have to do this? I mean we have the license key stuck on the server and written in the BIOS (proved by the KMS activating it).

Has anyone had this issue before?

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, I assume the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered". If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we'd love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Niki
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:32 AM

All replies

• To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool
    (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
     Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
     To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

0xC004F050
    usually means that you've misread a character - either C/G/6 or B/8 or Y/V are the most common.

Note that the following characters cannot be used - A E I L N O S U Z 1 0 - so don't bother trying unless you like the noise it makes :)

an O/0 is almost always a Q

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:48 PM
  • So are you saying it doesnt matter what type of media i used to build the server?

This is the bit you are looking for i think.

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes
    Windows marker version: 0x20002
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes

The server is activated via the KMS but i want to use the OEM key that we have paid for.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:20 PM
  • We need to see the FULL report to be able to make sense of it.

snippets are no use to anyone. There is no user-identifiable data in the report - read the Privacy statement in the tool

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:34 PM
  • You mean apart from FQDN's :)

All i want to know is if i need to contact my OEM supplier to get media that will accept the COA.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:55 PM
  • ...so edit out the FQDN, then - it shouldn't be accessible outside the network anyhow, or you have the server set up wrong.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:32 PM
  • Hi,

I am currently standing by for an update from you and would like to know how things are going. If you have any feedback, please let us know.

Niki
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Niki Han

Monday, October 22, 2012 7:07 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, I assume the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered". If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW,  we'd love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Niki

Niki Han

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:32 AM