none
Microsoft JVM on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Our company is evaluating moving to Windows 7. We have an older custom application written in J++ using Microsoft JVM written by a 3rd party about 8 years ago. It fails when trying to load with a message "java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no %CommonProgramFiles%\System\ado\msado15 in shared library path". The company that wrote the app is no longer around.  Any help on what has changed in Windows 7 or am I doomed for Windows XP for my life?
    Friday, October 2, 2009 4:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Microsoft JVM reached end-of-lie on June 30th.  http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/default.mspx discusses it in more detail and has documents to discuss transitioning off of MS JVM.
    -Matt
    Friday, October 2, 2009 8:20 PM
  • I think I'm doomed for XP until it dies also......
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:58 AM
  • We are in the same boat,  we did find a workaround which I will share:

Problem: java (J++) is not resolving %CommonProgramFiles% so you get an "unsatisfied link error".

1) Open Regedit and Search for the String "%CommonProgramFiles%\systems\ado\msado15.dll"
    2) Replace all instances with the full path name:  "C:\Program Files\Common Files\system\ado\msado15.dll"  (On 64 bit machine it will be different)

For some reason the %CommonProgramFiles% is not being resolved.   On Vista we had to "register" the dll and all was well (regsvr32).

If anyone has a cleaner solution, now that "cause" is known, I would appreciate some feedback.

Cheers,

Matt
    • Proposed as answer by AgentMathew Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:30 PM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:28 PM
  • Hi Matt,

We also have same problem have you found an easier way to fix the problme?

Thanks

abahrami

Monday, October 25, 2010 2:47 AM
  • I would imagine you can set the environment variable CommonProgramFiles system wide. Right click "Computer" then properties, advanced then environment variables. Set %CommonProgramFiles% to C:\Program Files\Common Files or C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\ as required.

I wonder if you set the environment variable before install if you would have to register the dll.

• Proposed as answer by slavaperunov Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:55 PM
    Sunday, December 26, 2010 5:14 AM