Client not getting any sequences (4A-40000197) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Recently, I'm getting the following error(s):

[02/16/2011 12:02:36:224 SWAP WRN] {tid=A6C:usr=extra01}
    Could not load OSD file http://dpnlb.test.lab/sms_dp_smspkgc$/C0100006/Microsoft Office Communicator 2007 R2 3.5.6907.0.osd

[02/16/2011 12:02:36:239 AMGR INF] {tid=A6C:usr=extra01}
    The app manager could not create an application from 'http://dpnlb.test.lab/sms_dp_smspkgc$/C0100006/Microsoft Office Communicator 2007 R2 3.5.6907.0.osd' (rc 24603C4A-40000197).

As you can see I'm using SCCM distribution points which are loadbalanced by a round robin record in DNS. This setup works like a charm, up to about 2 hours ago when I started getting the above errors. The error, the ..197 part gives 0 hits and I am really confused. I get this error for all my sequenced apps on all users on all workstations.

Any advice is highly appreciated!

Regards,
    Jeroen

Check out my blog "System Management Compendium" at www.sylvari.org
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 11:10 AM

Answers

• ok so I have news, it works! It doesn't make much sense to me, but well perhaps you can tell me why this is happening:

I was desperate when it comes to this, so I performed an 'IISRESET'-command on the one and only distribution point. After that, I went back to the client and didn't get a login prompt, but a 404. The traffic was being rerouted to our company proxy. Then I realised I had an external NIC as well as an internal NIC on my virtual client. After disabling the external nic (in HyperV, hence I rebooted the client) and logging in, I got virtual apps on my machine! I can launch them and they are definately not cached (deleted them from sftcmc.msc)

So I am able to get apps to my machine, however.... If I navigate to the OSD file(s) by using IE, I get a login prompt again...?

Am I in desperate need of coffee or is this really fuzzy?

Regards,

Jeroen

Check out my blog sysmgmt.wordpress.com
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jeroen Erkelens Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:00 AM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 2:08 PM

All replies

• Hello,

If you disable the load-balancing - does that resolve any error ?

Are both distribution-points working individually?
    /Znack
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 11:22 AM
  • Is the OSD file accessible from the client?
    This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 11:26 AM
  • @Znack; if I refer to a server that hosts the package (SCCM DP) directly, the same error occurs. and yes, SCCM distributions occur properly, as far as I know and can test. Copying packages from within SCCM poses no problem either.

@Aaron; actually, if I go to the osd file (from whichever machine), I get a logon prompt. I realised didn't grant the appv user group read permissions on my latest added DP. I corrected it but it didn't change anything. It sounded so plausibel?

Thanks!

• Edited by Jeroen Erkelens Wednesday, February 16, 2011 11:41 AM added info
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 11:35 AM
  • Hello,

Usually when using SCCM with App-V integration - SCCM handles all configuration (both server and client-side).

Are you using SCCM with the App-V integration ?
    /Znack
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 11:44 AM
  • Hi Znack,

I am using both but not integrated in the way of using SCCM's virtualizualized package distribution. Integration happens as follows:
    1) Sequenced package is placed in SCCM as a mere package, no program/adv/coll are created
    2) Generated packageID is taken and placed in the package OSD file, along with the client side environment variable that points to the SCCM DP NLB.
    3) Once the OSD is correct, the package is distributed to all DP's using SCCM.

Again, it worked like a charm, I only added a new DP recently and forgot to set share permissions (on smspkgc$) for the appv provider group (appv users). I corrected that but it still provides the error and on all my clients.

Regards,

Jeroen

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 11:48 AM
  • Hello,

According to Tim Mangan the 4A-module is an error in the Network Transport Agent

http://www.tmurgent.com/appvirt/FTL/Ftl.aspx

Since you state that when you manually try to reach the address you are prompted for credentials - the issue probably lies within the setup of the SCCM DP and either a missed special configuration (due to your setup) or a missed basic-configuration. 

I think the documentation for requirements of a DP are available on technet;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb680397.aspx

/Znack
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 11:53 AM
  • Znack,

Thanks, I will look up both sites and inform here on the outcome!

Regards,

Jeroen

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 12:01 PM
  • Well unfortunately I still haven't found what's going on. I checked default permissions on the smspkgc$ folder/share and they seems in order yet if I go to any subfolder (C0100006 from my first post i.e.) and check effective permissions in Windows for the appv provider group, I get no permissions whatsoever? It seems related to my issue, but I have even if I explicitly add the appv provider group to the share (verify the effective permissions again) the appv provider group (client side) doesn't seem to reflect those permissions and I'm still prompted for a user name and password... I'm running out of ideas here :(

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 1:13 PM
  • ok so I have news, it works! It doesn't make much sense to me, but well perhaps you can tell me why this is happening:

I was desperate when it comes to this, so I performed an 'IISRESET'-command on the one and only distribution point. After that, I went back to the client and didn't get a login prompt, but a 404. The traffic was being rerouted to our company proxy. Then I realised I had an external NIC as well as an internal NIC on my virtual client. After disabling the external nic (in HyperV, hence I rebooted the client) and logging in, I got virtual apps on my machine! I can launch them and they are definately not cached (deleted them from sftcmc.msc)

So I am able to get apps to my machine, however.... If I navigate to the OSD file(s) by using IE, I get a login prompt again...?

Am I in desperate need of coffee or is this really fuzzy?

Regards,

Jeroen

• Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jeroen Erkelens Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:00 AM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 2:08 PM