Touchpad driver causing high CPU usage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Y510p and have posted about this on another thread. After upgrading the touchpad driver ( Lenovo elan touchpad Version 17.0.10.12/11.4.26.1) and ,possibly coincidentally Windows 8.1 I noticed a process called "System" in the task manager is eating up 6 to 12 % CPU usage. Opening its file location seems to reveal that its "ntoskrnl" application.

After a system factory reset and many curse words I noticed a peculiar thing. The processor shows high usage only when the mouse is being used. The more the mouse is used the higher the CPU usage (caps at about 12%). I am assuming this is a bug. 

I have removed the driver and tested this and the process no longer used the CPU by that amount. But I lose all my features. Is there any way I can resolve this issue without having to either wait for a newer version of the driver (whih may take a very long time?).

I have posted about this issue on the lenovo forum as well and am not sure how relevant this might me be here. But in case any one has dealt with such an issue before please help me out.

Thanks

-Geril

Monday, April 21, 2014 2:06 PM

Answers

• Thanks...I have tried this driver before but it gave me some error and did not get installed. I did however figure a way to solve the problem. I uninstalled all touchpad related drivers and software (Lenovo bundles a bunch of them) and then reinstalled the windows 8.0 driver available on the manufacturer website. 
    • Edited by Geril Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:55 PM
    • Proposed as answer by kelvin_hsu Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_Martin Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:04 PM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For this issue,I suggest that you use the following driver(Windows 8/7/XP/Vista 64/32-bit Edition v17.0.19) to check the result.

http://www.synaptics.com/en/drivers.php

Note:Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Kelvin Xu
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by kelvin_hsu Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:51 PM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:45 AM
  • Thanks...I have tried this driver before but it gave me some error and did not get installed. I did however figure a way to solve the problem. I uninstalled all touchpad related drivers and software (Lenovo bundles a bunch of them) and then reinstalled the windows 8.0 driver available on the manufacturer website. 
    • Edited by Geril Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:55 PM
    • Proposed as answer by kelvin_hsu Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_Martin Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:04 PM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:55 PM
  • Hi Geril,

Please refer to the following thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Ideapad-Y510p-touchpad-fixing-the-driver-but-Lenovo-should-be/td-p/1450025

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

So,this issue was caused by the incompatible driver.

Regards,

Kelvin Xu
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by kelvin_hsu Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:51 PM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:45 PM