locked
Windows updates failing RRS feed

  • Question

  • Dear all.

    I have a number of VMs server 2008 R2 on a VMWare landscape, all supported by a WSUS server all of which update correctly according to the strategy I have implemented

    My SA Development server (and ONLY this server)will not update, all the required updates will download, the updates appear to be installing but at the end I get the failed to install message and they all fail.  It doesn't matter how many times I try they fail, on or off the domain, using or not using WSUS.

    I have tried them individually from the displayed list within Control Panel / Windows Update and individually directly from Microsoft.

    None of the googled research into this makes any sense and I am conscious of the time I am now wasting and need to spend in other areas

    Can anyone who has had this problem assist me with this please?  Many thanks, KR, Nick

    Wednesday, March 18, 2015 12:46 PM

All replies

  • Hi Nick,

    Have you tried to run System Update Readiness Tool on your server?

    To download System Update Readiness Tool, please click the link below:

    http://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/details.aspx?id=14668

    Also, here is an article about how to fix Windows corruption errors by using the DISM or System Update Readiness tool, it may be helpful:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

    If issue persists, please try to run sfc /scannow to check if any system file is corrupt.

    Best Regards.


    Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Thursday, March 19, 2015 6:43 AM
  • Hi Steven

    I have run the readiness tool, with the same end result, my updateds fail.

    I then ran the sfc /scannow but that came back unable to fine any integrity violations so I am now stuck.  As an extreme measure I could un link this vm's data drives and replae the server completely but I don't want to do that if I can avoid it.

    Is there anything else I can do that you know of?

    Thanks, kind regards, Nick

    Thursday, March 19, 2015 11:22 AM
  • Can you try the following on the client, you might have some corruption:

    1. Stop the Automatic Updates service 
    2. Rename the software distribution folder (i.e. C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution). 
    3. Restart the Automatic Update service 
    4. Run wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow 
    5. Run wuauclt /reportnow

    a. Stop the Automatic Updates service 
    b. Rename the software distribution folder (i.e. C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution). 
    c. Restart the Automatic Update service 
    d. Run wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow 
    e. Run wuauclt /reportnow
    a. Stop the Automatic Updates service 
    b. Rename the software distribution folder (i.e. C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution). 
    c. Restart the Automatic Update service 
    d. Run wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow 
    e. Run wuauclt /reportnow

    If you find the answer of assistance please "Vote as Helpful"and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps others to find solutions for there issues, and recognises contributions made to the community :)

    Friday, March 20, 2015 9:06 AM
  • Hi Michael

    I tried the above and initially it appeared to have been successfull.  The updates downloaded and appeared to install, the WSUS / AV server taking its time to show the updates successfully installed.

    However it now shows ithey failed both on the WSUS server and the SAP Dev server so I am back to square one!

    Most frustrating!

    KR, Nick

    Monday, March 23, 2015 9:53 AM