Configuration do not sync between multiple Centrl Admin in a SP farm RRS feed

• Question

• As per request, I have configured 2 SSP servers and 2 WFE servers to host the Central Admin site. The SSP servers are in one vlan and the WFE server are in another vlan. When I make a configuration in one CA, the setting is not sync to other CA. For example, if I increase the upload size limit of web application in one CA, I still see the old value in other CAs. If i try to change the upload size limit manually one by one in each CA, I will see error about " conflict as server severname is updating the setting". After this error and a refresh to the page, then only the setting become same. This is not only a display problem, the new settings do not take effect on the server hosted the CA as well.

I was told that blocking of RPC ports may cause this kind of problem. The firewall only exist in between vlan. So, if this is the case, then the behavior should be like if I were to perform a change on the WFE's CA, then other WFE get affected and not the SSPs' CA and likewise, If I were to change on either of the SSPs, the changes only affect the SSPs but not the WFEs. Currently, when I change the setting in WFE01's CA, the WFE02's CA do not get affected as well.

Anyway, I found that SSPs was blocked from accessing RPC ports 135 and 445 of WFEs. I also confirmed that the Timer Jobs are running fine.

Appreciate if anyone can help on this issue. Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 2:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As you have mentioned you have created 2 SSP and 2 WFEs , right ?

for SP Farm you have created 

are you using the same configuration DB / same content DB for sites ?

Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 9:22 AM
  • Hi Pratik,

Sorry that long time didn't update this post. Yup, there was 2 SSP server (actually 1 SSP created only but with two servers purely serving the SSP's services with no Windows SharePoint Service Web Application running) and 2 WFEs and all of them using the same configuration DB and content DB. Since I was not able to figure out the root cause, I had deleted the addtional CAs. Currently, we have 2 CAs with 1 hosted on SSP server and 1 on WFEs and it is working fine with the setting sync.

Monday, June 27, 2011 4:04 AM