Do Virtual Disks in Storage Spaces remain online during certain operations? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a couple of questions about Storage Spaces that I can't seem to find definitive answers for.

1) In a Storage Pool configured for Parallel Rebuild (adequate free space, RepairPolicy set to Parallel, RetireMissingPhysicalDisks set to Always). If a physical disk fails do Virtual Disks remain online and accessible during the parallel rebuild process?

2) Adequate number of additional physical disks are added to a Storage Pool. Do Virtual Disks remain online and accessible while running Optimize-StoragePool?

Many thanks in advance!

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 1:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Based on test, virtual disk will be online and accessible when re-generation, repair and optimize.

And here is article about storage pool, which should helpful to you.
    ----------------------
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2016/11/21/deep-dive-pool-in-spaces-direct/

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 25, 2019 1:02 AM
  • Thanks for replying, William.

I have finished testing as well, and can confirm your results: the Virtual Disk remains online and accessible throughout parallel repair and optimize processes.

There are lots of articles like the one you linked that detail the processes and explain what is going to happen but none, as far as I can tell, state that the Virtual Disk remains online.

Sunday, January 27, 2019 8:59 PM
  • Hi,

I’m please to know the information is helpful for you.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 28, 2019 5:35 AM