Black Screen of Death Severely Crippled System RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I’m experiencing what appears to be a slightly more vicious Windows Black Screen of Death issue. Where upon boot up my computer will load to where the credential screen should be and then becomes a black screen with a movable cursor. I’ve done a memory check, start-up repair, and tried loading the hard-drive via a sata-usb connection. Pressing any keys will darken the screen and ctrl+alt+del doesn’t do anything. None of the current safe-mode options do anything except load to the same black screen with a white moveable cursor, only by going into start-up repair and advanced options am I able to navigate to the command console.

The error started after a Microsoft update. I’ve tried to roll back my system, but my restore points error out into 0x08000fff or 0x800700b7. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want the data off the hard drive and am really hoping I don’t have to fully format this machine just because I installed a Windows Important Update.

For what its’ worth, the machine a Lenovo T410. Hard drive is a 300gb SSD. Windows 7 Enterprise.

Thank you,
    Sean

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 5:17 PM

Answers