Word documents opening slowly due to templates. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have some issues with word documents opening slowly because it searches for servers that aren't available.

The thing is that if a user from my company is on a business trip and brings his work laptop, all word documents that are based on templates that are located on any of our servers will open really slowly. Are there any permanent solution to this? (Opening the documents to change the template is one of the work arounds I've found.)

Regards,

Sindre Winsvold

Edit: It is Word 2010

Monday, November 18, 2013 10:58 AM

Answers

• You basically have four options:
    1. Change the attached template's location from a network location to a local location;
    2. Don't try to open the files from a PC attached to any network other than the one on which the templates can be accessed;
    3. Detach the attached template (i.e. delete it's name or change it to 'Normal');
    4. Live with the delays.

See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830561

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:26 AM

All replies

• Hi

On the File>Option>Customize ribbon and enable Developer in your ribbon.

Go to Developer>Template attach the templates to Normal.dotm

This might solve your issue.

If you need more hlep please feel free to tell us.

Thanks

Tylor Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:01 AM
  • Thanks for answer Tylor Wang.

Yes, this does work, but I need a way to fix this without changing the template. If its possible to maybe make the computer stop searching for servers when not on our network or something like that? :)

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:21 AM
  • If the issue is simply that there's been a change in servers and the documents can't find their templates on the new servers, there's a macro for processing all of the affected files at: http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?t=14499#p107602

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:42 AM
  • Sorry but my explination hasn't been good enough.

I will try again :)

Files which is based on templates located on our servers (or any server for that matter) will be opened slowly when not connected to our network. So for example "thisfile.docx" is based on "\\server\folder\thistemplate.dot" template, when not on our network the word document will try to access \\server\folder\thistemplate.dot and not find it, then it will try again and again. I want the document to stop trying to access the server when I'm not connected to my work's network. (If that makes sense).

Again thanks for replying.

Regards,

Sindre Winsvold

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:03 AM
  • You basically have four options:
    1. Change the attached template's location from a network location to a local location;
    2. Don't try to open the files from a PC attached to any network other than the one on which the templates can be accessed;
    3. Detach the attached template (i.e. delete it's name or change it to 'Normal');
    4. Live with the delays.

See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830561

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:26 AM
  • Okey, thanks to all of you. :)
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:47 AM
  • You can 

• either change the registry key *HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\<Your version number>\Word\Options\UseTimeoutForAttachedTemplateLoad* to a lower value to minimize the timeout for checking if the template stil exists
    • manually change every .docx file to fix the wrong *word/_rels/settings.xml.rels* file in there. The XML attribute "Target" in there probably points to the wrong location
    • or use the freely available tool Word Template Corrector (link goes to GitHub)  to fix the wrong template path recursively for all .docx files in a directory. Take a look at https://www.schakko.de/2020/02/20/how-to-fix-slow-opening-microsoft-word-documents-because-of-invalid-network-paths/ how to use it.
    Friday, February 21, 2020 4:38 PM
  • Only the first of those is at all relevant to the topic under discussion here...

The OP was only concerned with delays occasioned by temporarily being away from the network. Who wants to do either your second or third options for that???

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, February 21, 2020 10:02 PM