none
Unable to remove Lingering objects problem RRS feed

• Question

• I've a Mixed 2008R2/2012R2 forest; 1 Root domain, 4 child domains. I'm getting warnings on the PDC (event ID:1988) that there are lingering objects on some of the child domain controllers. They aren't being replicated, 

However, when I go to the DC's in question and use repadmin /removelingerobjects, it seems unable to remove them; I get error ID 1939 & 1937 Confirming that it's run, but has found and removed zero objects, then Error 1943 telling me it was unable to remove all of them and to rerun, followed by another 1943 error in which the source domain controller is "[]".

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thursday, February 21, 2019 3:37 PM

Answers

• Hello Sonu

I had a similar problem a few months ago, basically I was seeing lingering objects but when I was in the source I was not able to find them so at the end I had to unhost and rehost the partition that had issues in the servers that had the replication blocked because of it

1. Command: repadmin /unhost <dc-name> <partition-name>
    2. Command: repadmin /rehost <dc-name> <partition to rehost> <good-source-dc>

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/canberrapfe/2012/04/13/un-hosting-re-hosting-active-directory-partition

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/4c172b6d-dab0-4ed9-9f56-8e11aaa5758a/weird-case-about-lingering-objects?forum=winserverDS

Best regards

Joaquin Camarero Muñoz

Thursday, February 21, 2019 7:12 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in the forum.

Based on your description, we recommend you try Lingering Object Liquidator tool, which is a tool to automate the discovery and removal of lingering objects.

For your reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3141939/description-of-the-lingering-object-liquidator-tool

If this doesn't work, you may would like to locate HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters\Strict Replication Consistency and set the value data to 1

Important: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. For added protection, please back up the registry before you modify it.

Regards,

Zoe

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 22, 2019 7:45 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If the information provided was helpful, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Zoe

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Sonu-Kumar Sunday, March 3, 2019 7:29 AM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2019 6:20 AM

All replies

• Hello Sonu

I had a similar problem a few months ago, basically I was seeing lingering objects but when I was in the source I was not able to find them so at the end I had to unhost and rehost the partition that had issues in the servers that had the replication blocked because of it

1. Command: repadmin /unhost <dc-name> <partition-name>
    2. Command: repadmin /rehost <dc-name> <partition to rehost> <good-source-dc>

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/canberrapfe/2012/04/13/un-hosting-re-hosting-active-directory-partition

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/4c172b6d-dab0-4ed9-9f56-8e11aaa5758a/weird-case-about-lingering-objects?forum=winserverDS

Best regards

Joaquin Camarero Muñoz

Thursday, February 21, 2019 7:12 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in the forum.

Based on your description, we recommend you try Lingering Object Liquidator tool, which is a tool to automate the discovery and removal of lingering objects.

For your reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3141939/description-of-the-lingering-object-liquidator-tool

If this doesn't work, you may would like to locate HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters\Strict Replication Consistency and set the value data to 1

Important: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. For added protection, please back up the registry before you modify it.

Regards,

Zoe

Friday, February 22, 2019 7:45 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Zoe

Monday, February 25, 2019 6:11 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If the information provided was helpful, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Zoe

• Marked as answer by Sonu-Kumar Sunday, March 3, 2019 7:29 AM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2019 6:20 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will propose the solution as answer. If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unpropose the answer as you wish.

BTW, we'd love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience, you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards,

Zoe

Friday, March 1, 2019 6:50 AM
  • Hello Zoe,

we have one more issue when replicating with command repadmin /replicate dc1 dc2 dc=root,dc=contoso,dc=mil getting error "Naming context is in the process of being removed"

i have gone through more article and found lingering objects but i have remove all lingering objects but issue not resolve

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/384b0431-3711-4394-ae3e-aede56d70dd6/naming-context-is-in-the-process-of-being-removed?forum=itmanager

sonu kumar

Sunday, March 3, 2019 7:40 AM
  • hello Zoe,

i am getting accessed denied error when run try to host/unhost partition 

what permission do we need?

i have to do on cdc and we have domainadmin rights 

sonu kumar

Sunday, March 3, 2019 7:45 AM
  • This is for different DC

when removing lingering objects with LOL getting error code 32

sonu kumar

Sunday, March 3, 2019 7:51 AM