Word 2003 inconsistent document recovery behaviour RRS feed

• Question

• I have a document that I have discovered (using the Open and Repair feature in word 2003) has an Internal Data Integrity (Type 4)  error (whatever that is).

On some machines (all running the same version of Word 2003, with SP3 and no other patches) the document opens from explorer fine, on others it causes Word to hang indefinitely at 100% CPU Usage.  I can however use Open and Repair on any of the machines ( those that hang or those that don't and this works fine) but what I want to know is this: 

How come some machines can open it and auto repair it without any user intervention, when others that are exactly the same cant? 

These PCs are all built from a standard image and Office is installed on them from an SCCM package... so they should all be identical.

Also, does anyone have any idea what "Internal Data Integrity (Type 4) 1 error" really means, or how I can go about looking at the data behind the document to pinpoint the source of that message?

Background info: The document is generated by a mail merge process run from a machine using office 2007 that is saving the generated docs as 2003 format.  The template is a .dot file that I believe was originally created in office 97.  I believe the template is the cause of the Data Integrity error and I have recommended a new one be created.  This doesn't help to explain why Word 2003 hangs when opening the files on one machine and not other though.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:41 PM

All replies