Need to restrict user from downloading copy of document in sharepoint site RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks !!!

i got a requirement in which i have uploaded a document in a document library.I need to restrict user to view only the document and not able to download a copy of that document.I tried with view only permission level but no luck there.Please help me !!!!

Keshav Roy

Friday, November 30, 2012 12:06 PM

Answers

• I understand that you're asking that the user not be able to use the "Download a copy" feature, but if a user can view the file they can download it as well.

You may want to look at Informatiojn Rights Management, or IRM (20072010), which has the ability to let users view a document but not to "copy it." I don't know for sure whether this means the download as a copy option is not available, but it does prevent them from making copies of the downloaded file.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Friday, November 30, 2012 4:21 PM

All replies

• I understand that you're asking that the user not be able to use the "Download a copy" feature, but if a user can view the file they can download it as well.

You may want to look at Informatiojn Rights Management, or IRM (20072010), which has the ability to let users view a document but not to "copy it." I don't know for sure whether this means the download as a copy option is not available, but it does prevent them from making copies of the downloaded file.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Friday, November 30, 2012 4:21 PM
  • I agree with what Jason mentioned above. Read permission means, you have just read access to the "Source". You won't be able to do anything else in there. Preventing someone from downloading is a different topic.

BTW, you could create a new view so that users won't see the menu from the document library items to be able to get to the Download option. This is one way, but it doesn't necessarily mean you're preventing the user from downloading the document. If someone wanted, it can still be downloaded or Save the Document in their desktop after it's opened for viewing purpose.

Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com/

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:39 AM