none
New Hyper-V cluster setup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I am to setup a new IT infrastructure, running on two Hyper-V hosts and a shared storage. I want to cluster my servers, then setup and AD before any new VMs. How do I go about this, considering I need to join the servers to the domain for it to validate before i can create any VM in this cluster? Do i create an AD before i create the cluster?

Sunday, November 10, 2019 2:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

>>Do i create an AD before i create the cluster?

Although in winodws Server 2016, we can create a failover cluster in a workgroup environment, but this is a bit cumbersome to deploy. From my personal experience, I suggest that we deploy a failover cluster in a domain environment.

But in your situation, if we want to create a vm in our Hyper-V  and set this VM as our DC, and then add this two hyper-v and storage to this domian, then we create a failover cluster with this machine.

Although we can set up cluster successfully, but there is a lot of risk in this environment, and I strongly do not recommend this deployment.

So, the best practice is to find another machine as a DC, then join two hyper-vs and storage to the domain, and deploy the cluster in the domain environment.

For more discussion, you can see here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/05286621-3898-443b-a6cb-c4ce85fef3b1/setup-failover-cluster-without-ad?forum=winserverClustering

Hope this can help you.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Monday, November 11, 2019 7:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

>>Do i create an AD before i create the cluster?

Although in winodws Server 2016, we can create a failover cluster in a workgroup environment, but this is a bit cumbersome to deploy. From my personal experience, I suggest that we deploy a failover cluster in a domain environment.

But in your situation, if we want to create a vm in our Hyper-V  and set this VM as our DC, and then add this two hyper-v and storage to this domian, then we create a failover cluster with this machine.

Although we can set up cluster successfully, but there is a lot of risk in this environment, and I strongly do not recommend this deployment.

So, the best practice is to find another machine as a DC, then join two hyper-vs and storage to the domain, and deploy the cluster in the domain environment.

For more discussion, you can see here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/05286621-3898-443b-a6cb-c4ce85fef3b1/setup-failover-cluster-without-ad?forum=winserverClustering

Hope this can help you.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Monday, November 11, 2019 7:22 AM
  • It is not uncommon to have your Domain Controllers as non-failover VMs on cluster nodes.  What you do is install Hyper-V on the nodes you plan to cluster.  Then, assuming you do not already have an existing Active Directory, build your Active Directory domain controllers on the Hyper-V hosts, storing the VM files on local storage.  You should create at least two domain controllers, each one on a different node.  Then you join your Hyper-V hosts to the domain and create a failover cluster using shared storage.  All VMs created after that are stored on the shared storage.  I set up such environments multiple times with no issues whatsoever.

tim

• Proposed as answer by Eric SironMVP Monday, November 11, 2019 6:27 PM
    Monday, November 11, 2019 2:33 PM
  • Hi,

I am writing here to confirm current situation.

If the above suggestion are helpful to you, please be kind enough to "mark it as an answer" for helping more people.

Regards,
    Daniel

Thursday, November 14, 2019 7:40 AM