none
Remote Desktop service doesn't start RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.
    Remote Desktop service has stopped working suddenly on my computer. I can't start Remote Desktop Services (TermService) because it depends on "Terminal device driver" (TermDD) service. And it seems it cannot start because there are exclamation marks at "Terminal Server Keyboard Driver" and "Terminal Server Mouse Driver" in Device Manager. I tried to reinstall these devices but it didn't help. The error message says: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39). During reinstallation of the driver for both devices there is CM_PROB_DRIVER_FAILED_LOAD error in installer logs. I don't think it's really the driver problem. I have termdd.sys in my system and it is in correct version. I observed that when I run Windows in safe mode both devices work correctly and there are no exclamation marks. Therefore I suppose there is some conflict with other driver or something.
    I don't remember changing anything in the system related to Remote Desktop. The only thing I recall is that I have accidentally removed "UMBus Root Bus Enumerator". I have reinstalled it later but it didn't help.
    Saturday, January 11, 2014 10:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

Let’s see this picture:

I suggest you uninstall the device first (create a system restore point before), then use my method to install the device.

How it works?

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:00 AM

All replies

• Refer this : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff538906%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, January 11, 2014 2:16 PM
  • Have you read my post? The article you provided link for says: Reinstall or obtain a new driver. I have reinstalled both devices many times and the error code is from reinstallation process. I can't obtain new driver because the driver is part of Windows.
    Saturday, January 11, 2014 8:04 PM
  • Hi,

Do you use windows 7? I cannot locate the Terminal device driver service.

Can a system restore bring it to a good status?

Alex Zhao

Monday, January 13, 2014 12:34 PM
  • Hi,

Do you have any update?

Alex Zhao

Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:49 AM
  • Both devices are hidden. You need to click View -> Show hidden devices in Device manager to see them. They are under System devices.

I tried to restore but Windows said there are no restore points.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:27 PM
  • Hi,

The Terminal Device Driver service is a kernel driver, you can run SFC command to check if it can repair some corrupted system files:

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us

if it does not help, check the following registry path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermDD

Check if the image path is right configured.

Alex Zhao

Friday, January 17, 2014 9:21 AM
  • SFC didn't find any problems.

I have already compared registry keys with my other Windows 7 system. The path is OK: system32\DRIVERS\termdd.sys

Sunday, January 19, 2014 10:45 PM
  • Hi,

How  did you reinstall the terminal device driver? Could you give us more information?

Alex Zhao

Monday, January 20, 2014 8:55 AM
  • Update driver... -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer -> Have disk... -> Here I type C:\windows\inf -> Driver is found -> Next -> Driver is installed -> Still error 39 :(

There are no visible errors during the installation itself, e.g. file not found. There is just CM_PROB_DRIVER_FAILED_LOAD error in C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log which I mentioned in my original post.

!!!  dvi:                          Device not started: Device has problem: 0x27: CM_PROB_DRIVER_FAILED_LOAD.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 1:02 AM
  • Hi,

Try to reinstall the two drivers, before this action, you should better create a system restore point for your current status.

Uninstall the two drivers, this would need restart to finish process.

Then you can use the same way to install the drivers:

1. Under Action tab of Device Manager,  select Add legacy hardware.
    2. Select Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced).
    3. Next to click Have Disk…
    4. Still Type C:\windows\inf
    5. Select from Standard system device to install Terminal Server Keyboard Driver and Terminal Server Mouse Driver.

Alex Zhao

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:36 AM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Alex Zhao

Friday, January 24, 2014 2:53 AM
  • I tried to install them that way but they are not listed under system devices. Then I used devcon:

devcon.exe install %windir%\inf\machine.inf ROOT\RDP_MOU
    devcon.exe install %windir%\inf\machine.inf ROOT\RDP_KBD

This installs the devices but there is error 39 again.

Friday, January 24, 2014 6:51 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

Let’s see this picture:

I suggest you uninstall the device first (create a system restore point before), then use my method to install the device.

How it works?

Alex Zhao

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:00 AM
  • When I try to add those devices using GUI, I can't see them on the list despite of choosing C:\windows\inf directory.
    Monday, February 24, 2014 8:12 PM
  • Hello guys.

I had the same problem in a Hyper-V virtual machine. I spent like 2 days troubleshooting.
    I posted a detailed guide about how to fix the issue in my blog  :

http://stackingtech.com/2015/11/13/mouse-does-not-work-on-hyper-v-vm-console-remote-desktop-connection-black-screen-windows-2012-r2-vm/

I hope this is useful for everyone.  
    Mauricio Zaragoza

Sys Admin

• Proposed as answer by NorthVandea Thursday, January 21, 2016 7:43 PM
    Friday, November 13, 2015 11:35 PM
  • Hello guys.

I had the same problem in a Hyper-V virtual machine. I spent like 2 days troubleshooting.
    I posted a detailed guide about how to fix the issue in my blog  :

http://stackingtech.com/2015/11/13/mouse-does-not-work-on-hyper-v-vm-console-remote-desktop-connection-black-screen-windows-2012-r2-vm/

I hope this is useful for everyone.  
    Mauricio Zaragoza

Sys Admin

Friday, November 13, 2015 11:36 PM
  • Thanks a ton Mauricio!!  This was the solution to my exact issue.  Nowhere else had this solution and this fixed it beautifully!!!
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 7:44 PM
  • Hello,

This blog does not seem to be active anymore, though it looks like the solution I'm looking for stays there.

May the nicer guy please write the workaround here please?

Thanks in advance.

N.E.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 6:37 AM