none
Unique schedules for different directories or different protection groups for one disk RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

There is a file server, with disk D. It has different directories: d:\ Folder1, d:\ Folder2, d:\ Foldre3. Directories has different size and importance. I need different schedule for each of them.
    Is it really impossible to create a separate security group in DPM with its own schedule, for each directory on one partition. I can not create another (custom) protection group for d:\ folder01, because d:\ Folder01, d:\ Folder02 are in one of the protection groups.
    «Other items on the datasource are a member of another protection group»

Or can not do, a unique schedule for each directory in one protection group.
    In general, all the directories are very large and I do not need to perform a backup of ALL, every day, but only Folder01. Folder02 and Folder03 I want back up every week.

Tell me maybe I'm wrong :)

Thanks.
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 3:38 PM

Answers

• housekeeping - closing post.

Correct, from DPM Perspective the host volume D: is the data source, and once a data source is protected it cannot be be protected again.

The only solution is to use volume mount points and segregate the data so they are on different volumes, that way you can protect each volume separately in different protection groups with different schedules / retention.

In my example below,  Host_Volume (D:) is the volume that only holds the mount point directories.  

Folder# is a folder that user access and is the empty mountpoint folder.   Mounted_Volume# is the underlying volume that holds the users directories and data.  DPM protects the Mounted Volumes and optionally the D: volume if it also hosts files that need protected

This configuration also allows a chkdsk and / or a DPM Consistency Check to only run against the subset of users files on one volume which won’t take as long.  DPM protection continues as normal for the other volumes under protection.

Host_Volume (D:)
       Folder1 -->Mounted_Volume1   <-----DPM PROTECTS
                              UserDir1
                              UserDir2
                              UserDir3
       Folder2 -->Mounted_Volume2  <-----DPM PROTECTS
                              UserDir4
                              UserDir5
                              UserDir6
       Folder3-->Mounted_volume3  <-----DPM PROTECTS
                              UserDir7
                              UserDir8
                              UserDir9

You can “grow” the Mounted_volume at the SAN level if you need more space on that disk for users data, then use diskpart.exe command to grow the NTFS file system into the new free space, that way you can start with smaller LUN’s and grow them over time as new users / data gets added. 

Regards
    Mike Jacquet

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 9, 2020 6:01 PM