SCOM R2 (operations Manager R2) - Exchange Management Pack - Discovery Options Cannot be overridden to enable it RRS feed

• Question

• I've imported the exchange 2007 management packs.
    The Servers are discovered properly including the mailbox server role , hub transport server role and so on, but my cluster wasn't getting discovered and I found out its disabled by default.

I have created a Custom Management Pack

When I try to override the value for the following mentioned discovery options in the microsoft article. Select Destination Management Pack Option is Greyed out as in it cannot be selected the drop down menu doesn't come but my custom management pack is shown so I changed the values to enabled and clicked ok. 

The properties of the particular discovery (e.g: Exchange 2007 CCR Clustered Mailbox Server Role Discovery - Properties) shows Object Discovery enable Tick box is not ticked event though i've selected to override which means the changes are not getting saved..Why is this and how can i overcome this?

I have an SCC which need to be monitored. Agents have been installed and the machines are shown as healthy.

Thanks in advance

---------------------------------------
    Exchange 2007 discoveries run every 24 hours by default.

Initially, the only discovery that runs automatically is called the Exchange 2007 Discovery Helper Discovery. It is a lightweight registry discovery that runs on all Windows servers. Its only purpose is to discover Exchange 2007 servers in your environment without actually starting monitoring.

To verify that Discovery Helper has discovered your Exchange 2007 servers

1.     Ensure that you have not scoped your views.

2.     Go to the Discovered Inventory view in the Monitoring section of the Operations console.

3.     Right-click and choose Select Target Type.

4.     In the Look for field, type Exchange 2007 Discovery Helper, select it, and then click OK. A list of Exchange 2007 servers appears with a status of “Not Monitored.”

If no Exchange 2007 servers are discovered, you might want to make the discovery run more frequently than the default. You can change the frequency of the Exchange 2007 Discovery Helper Discovery in Object Discoveries located under Authoring in the Operations console.

To enable Exchange 2007 Server Role Discovery

1.     Go to the Object Discoveries node located under Authoring in the Operations console.

2.     In the Look for field, type Exchange 2007 Server Role and click Enter. A list of Exchange 2007 Server Role Discoveries appears. You need to enable Server Role Discoveries of the following discoveries:

Discovery Name

Description

Exchange 2007 CCR Clustered Mailbox Server Role Discovery

Discovers CCR and SCC clustered Mailbox servers

Exchange 2007 CCR Node Role Discovery

Discovers CCR node servers in a CCR cluster (the physical nodes)

Exchange 2007 Standalone CCR Node Discovery

Discovers standalone CCR node roles (nodes that are participating in log shipping but are not part of an active Mailbox server) and standalone mailbox roles

Exchange 2007 CAS Role Discovery

Discovers Client Access server roles

Exchange 2007 Hub Transport Role Discovery

Discovers Hub Transport server roles

Exchange 2007 Edge Role Discovery

Discovers Edge Transport server roles

Exchange 2007 UM Role Discovery

Discovers Unified Messaging (UM) roles

For example, to enable discovery of all Hub Transport servers, right-click the Exchange 2007 Hub Transport Role Discovery and select Overrides\Enable the Object Discovery\for all objects of type Exchange 2007 Discovery Helper. If you want, you can choose to discover servers using a group (containing Exchange 2007 Discovery Helper instances) or a single instance of Exchange 2007 Discovery Helper. It is also possible to use a group containing the computer objects of the Exchange servers.

Monday, January 4, 2010 5:36 AM

Answers

• If an override already exists for the object in the context that you are attempting to change then you will automatically be pointed to the existing management pack that contains the override for that workflow.  Check and see if that management pack is sealed.  Open Operations Manager Console, Administration Management Packs.  Find the Management Pack indicated and see whether it is sealed or not.

If the management pack is sealed you won't be able to add an override to it.  You will need to place it in an unsealed management pack (you will need to create manually and import), or get whoever sealed that management pack to add your override and reseal/re-import the management pack.

You might also check and see if you check the override box and the enforced box when setting the override value does this make the value change in the Effect value column?
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 6:44 PM

All replies

• If an override already exists for the object in the context that you are attempting to change then you will automatically be pointed to the existing management pack that contains the override for that workflow.  Check and see if that management pack is sealed.  Open Operations Manager Console, Administration Management Packs.  Find the Management Pack indicated and see whether it is sealed or not.

If the management pack is sealed you won't be able to add an override to it.  You will need to place it in an unsealed management pack (you will need to create manually and import), or get whoever sealed that management pack to add your override and reseal/re-import the management pack.

You might also check and see if you check the override box and the enforced box when setting the override value does this make the value change in the Effect value column?
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 6:44 PM
  • Thank you very much for replying, but my idea was that a management pack which is sealed can be overidden to a custom made management pack (which is unsealed) ? Is this view wrong?

I checked and the Managemept Pack is Sealed - Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Discovery

"You might also check and see if you check the override box and the enforced box when setting the override value does this make the value change in the Effect value column?"

Override Box Tick and the Enforced Box Tick have been both tried and the effective value shows the correct value.

Default is False
    Effective Value is Shown as true (which is what i require)- But Still I cant save it in my custom management pack as the drop down list box is greyed out. But it does have my custom mangement pack as the shown management pack in that drop down list which is not functioning.

"If an override already exists for the object in the context that you are attempting to change then you will automatically be pointed to the existing management pack that contains the override for that workflow"

Regarding the above I can change values I havent (overridden) modified in the management pack but again the destination management pack is greyed out where as it should give the default management packs and other management packs as additional options.

I didnt have an issue with overriding other stuff its just this management pack i'm currently having an issue with.

Issue is : I want to enable discovery of my exchange cluster
    Effective Value is shown as True ( True = Enabled)
    Cannot Save or Choose detination Management Pack when value is overridden
    The Properties of that particular discovery ( Exchange 2007 CCR Node Role Discovery - General Tab - Object Discover is Enabled - Greyed Out and No Tick in the Tick Box  

I can send you screenshots if that is possible.

Please help I need to Discover my Cluster its a SCC.

Thanks again.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 5:36 AM
  • Is this normal?? anyways the cluster has been discovered even though the issue is still there? guess as  long as it is the effective value it works.

I'm still confused...don't we save the overrides 'cause we can easily back it up and as best practice? if we cant save it in to the management pack we want what is the use? Is it 'cause its sealed??

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 6:01 AM
  • Discoveries only run once every 24 hours so your previously missing discoveries may just have been a problem where during the last discovery interval an error happened. 
    Effective value in the UI shows the summation of the overrides that will occur.  So if Effective Value shows true then the discovery is enabled for that object.

You can't make changes to a sealed management pack. The Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Discovery Management Pack should be sealed.  However, your overrides should be saved in a different management pack which shouldn't be sealed.  If the management pack showing up in the UI is greyed out, then that would indicate the MP is sealed.  What MP is showing up in the bottom of the UI? If you look at that management packs name is it sealed?
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 7:00 PM
  • "But it does have my custom mangement pack as the shown management pack in that drop down list which is not functioning."

HO-Management-Pack is my custom made management pack to which i override to and I checked it and its not sealed. But the issue persists

"Cannot Choose destination Management Pack when value is overridden" - Its Greyed Out with my management pack (HO-Management-Pack) But the effective value can be changed by overriding and it seems to work ok.

Any Idea?? In other overrides I'm able to select the destination management pack.

Thanks.
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 5:03 AM
  • Technically you could author your own MP and put the same override in the second MP but then the behavior of Operations Manager is undefined on which MP’s override would actually take effect.  The UI is showing you that the value you are setting has already been set and you should make your changes in the same management pack.  If this management pack is not sealed then you should be able to save your changes to it. 

Monday, January 11, 2010 11:17 PM