none
Stuck in mini-setup after running SysPrep

Question

• Well, I got past the "system is being updated" problem, and now I'm stuck at a later point.  I should first mention that I'm a very experienced Windows image builder.  So I set up the reference machine the way I wanted, left the user profile unlocked and disk protection off as the SteadyState handbook suggests, then ran SysPrep as usual.

Now, when I turn on the computer (the same one, not one copied via imaging), it runs Windows Mini-setup and asks me to name the computer.  I enter the requested information and watch while it reboots.  Then it runs Windows Mini-setup again and asks me to name the computer again.  I enter the requested information again and watch while it reboots....

Six cycles so far, with no sign of progress.  And I can't find a way out of this loop: I can't do anything on the computer until mini-setup completes successfully.  I can't even do anything in Safe Mode: "Windows XP Setup cannot run under Safemode.  Setup will restart now."

Anyone have any ideas about how to get past this?  Can anyone suggest why it happened, so I don't inadvertantly do it again?  Any help at all?  My colleagues are urging me to drop Windows SteadyState entirely, so I could really use some help.                 Sande

Monday, July 30, 2007 5:31 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Sande,

As the user profile is unlocked and Windows Disk Protection is also disabled,  the problem can be caused by other factors instead of SteadyState. It was reported that the issue may occur if the Telephony service was disabled. Please double check your reference computer to ensure that the Telephony service is enabled and started.

If the problem persists, I suggest that you post to the Windows XP Deployment newsgroup for further assistance:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is that you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other customers who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 7:54 AM
  • I know this won’t help you much but I have had similar problems with Sysprep without SteadyState involved.  In all cases I had to rebuild the reference image and start over.

As a rule of thumb, I learned to always keep a clean never syspreped image.  Periodically I restore the clean image to my reference computer and redo any changes I have done since the last clean image capture. 

As for Shared Computer Toolkit I never had any problems with it and sysprep, and I just completed a deployment with SteadyState with no sysprep problems.

Saturday, September 01, 2007 3:41 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Sande,

As the user profile is unlocked and Windows Disk Protection is also disabled,  the problem can be caused by other factors instead of SteadyState. It was reported that the issue may occur if the Telephony service was disabled. Please double check your reference computer to ensure that the Telephony service is enabled and started.

If the problem persists, I suggest that you post to the Windows XP Deployment newsgroup for further assistance:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is that you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other customers who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 7:54 AM
  •  

I appreciate your advice to ask this of the Windows XP Deployment newsgroup, but more than a week after my posting there, I have received no response at all.  So I'm coming back to this group, where at least I might solicit a response:

Has anyone else seen this specific problem with SteadyState, where it is stuck in mini-setup, prompting forever for a computer name after imaging?

Given that these are "appliance"-style workstations, I remove and disable many unnecessary Windows components,  services, and devices.  Is there anything besides the Telephony service that SteadyState relies on?  I'm not asking about services in support of core SteadyState functionality, because I know those are working.  I'm asking about services or components that you'd think are unrelated to SteadyState, like Telephony service or the modem device.

For example, as a normal security precaution we disable these services: Remote Registry, Telnet, NetMeeting, Indexing, Messenger, Terminal Services, and we disable all firewall exceptions.  We also rename the default Administrator account, and put a password on it. 

On this limited workstation, I also used Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components to remove uneeded Games, Communications, and Windows Media Player.  Finally, I disabled the built-in IrDA, Modem, and wireless devices, and we plan to remove the CD-ROM drives as well.

Windows XP SP2 has always tolerated such changes perfectly well, so the problem with SysPrep mini-setup must be related to SteadyState, not SysPrep itself.  Does anyone know if SteadyState will "object" to any of these changes?                     Sande

Friday, August 31, 2007 5:53 PM
  • I know this won’t help you much but I have had similar problems with Sysprep without SteadyState involved.  In all cases I had to rebuild the reference image and start over.

As a rule of thumb, I learned to always keep a clean never syspreped image.  Periodically I restore the clean image to my reference computer and redo any changes I have done since the last clean image capture. 

As for Shared Computer Toolkit I never had any problems with it and sysprep, and I just completed a deployment with SteadyState with no sysprep problems.

Saturday, September 01, 2007 3:41 AM
  • Hi Sande,

I am sorry to hear that there is no feedback from Windows XP Deployment newsgroup. Please understand that if JC had encountered similar issue without SteadyState involved, you may need to rebuild the image to start over.

For your reference, if you would like to continue troubleshooting this issue, we can also perform a Complete Clean Boot. Please understand that as the problem can be caused by the problematic image, I cannot guarantee the following steps can lead to the root cause.

-------------

1. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Open box, and then click OK.

2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then clear all of the subsequent check boxes. You will not be able to clear the Use Original BOOT.INI check box.

3. Click OK, and then click Restart to restart your computer.

4. After Windows starts, determine whether the symptoms are still present.

If the problem does not occur, please continue to use these steps to narrow down the cause of the issue:

1. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Open box, and then click OK.

2. Starting with the first available check box (Process System.ini File), select each check box one at a time, and restart the computer as prompted until the problem is reproduced.

3. Once the problem reappears, click the tab that corresponds to the selected file. For example, if the problem reappears after selecting the Win.ini file, click the WIN.INI tab in System Configuration Utility.

Then, we can gradually narrow down the root cause by checking the items under the tab one by one.

Note: Microsoft strongly recommends that you do not use System Configuration Utility to modify the Boot.ini file on your computer without the direction of a Microsoft Support Professional. Doing so may render your computer unusable.

Regards,

Monday, September 03, 2007 10:53 AM
  • Rebuilding the image from scratch did indeed solve the problem.  In more than 5 years of using SysPrep to create about 10 images per year, I've never had to do this before. 

I still feel the problem was something I turned off in the Windows XP SP2/SteadyState build the first time I did it, that I left unchanged in the second build.

Anyway, I'm back in business now, so thanks to everyone who made suggestions.                    Sande

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 5:08 PM
  • Hi Sande,

I am glad to hear that rebuilding the image solve the problem. If the issue is reproducible when using SteadyState, you can post the update and we will discuss it together.

Regards,

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 9:17 AM