An e-mail message may not be delivered at the scheduled time when you enable the "Do not deliver before" option in an Outlook message RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

We are an organization with more than 150 users who work with outlook 2010 on "cached mode" connected on exchange 2010 sp3. Based on your article

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/918824/an-e-mail-message-may-not-be-delivered-at-the-scheduled-time-when-you#top we face the exact issue and some emails are not delivered after the delivery time we set.

As you describe this behavior is by design but we need this feature and cannot change the connection to "online mode"

Could you please suggest us a different workaround other than "switch to online mode"? If we upgrade both the office suite and the exchange 2010 to a newer version, would we get the behavior we desire?

Thx in advanced.

Miltos Mavomatis

Friday, September 13, 2019 1:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Miltos,

Just as the article said, when you enable the Do not deliver before option to defer the delivery of a message with Outlook running in cached mode, the message is deferred to the local Outbox, not to the server. So the message will not be delivered from the local .ost file unless Outlook is running when the message is scheduled to be delivered. 

So, if you don't like to change the connection to "online mode", please make sure your Outlook is running when the message is scheduled to delivered.

>> Could you please suggest us a different workaround other than "switch to online mode"? If we upgrade both the office suite and the exchange 2010 to a newer version, would we get the behavior we desire?

According to my research, I'm afraid this is by design in all versions of Outlook.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 16, 2019 2:13 AM
  • Hi Miltos,

Have you got the issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 7:42 AM
  • Hi Aidan,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. I am afraid we can't switch to "online" mode and we understand that happens by design.

Are you aware of any 3rd party solution that can delay our mail flow (for a couple of minutes for example) so that the user can cancel his mail if he wants to? Unfortunately Exchange 2010 do not offer such  a hub transport rule.

Thx in advance

Friday, September 20, 2019 9:33 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I understand that you can't switch to "online" mode, so it is suggested to just make sure your Outlook is running when the message is scheduled to delivered.

And I'm afraid there is no such tool to delay your mail flow.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Friday, September 20, 2019 9:39 AM