Local Administrator rights when activativate Office RRS feed

• Question

• Do you need local admin rights on a client when activate Office 365 on a client. I have customer that when he is activating is not able to do activation from his network. But when he is connected to another network he is able to do so. Does that activation require any more acess than a browers does, to internet. 

Knut W

Thursday, June 7, 2018 10:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Knut,

Office 365 activation requires the Internet Connection to communicate with the Office Licensing Service and the Activation and Validation Service to obtain and activate a product key.

In his network, please make sure his network settings are correct and no blocking for Microsoft services. If the activation still fails in his network, collect more information about the license status for further analysis:

Run as administrator to open Command Prompt window, type the following and share the complete results to us:

cscript.exe "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office16\"ospp.vbs /dstatus
    If you are running 32-bit Office 2016 on a 64-bit operating system, the script is: 
    cscript.exe "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Office\Office16\"ospp.vbs /dstatus

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 9:47 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it? Please feel free to post back if you need further help.

If my reply is helpful to this question, please remember to mark it as answer to close the thread. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, June 21, 2018 1:44 AM