none
Go to task successor RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there an easy way to navigate to tasks successors with a click of a button (rather than scrolling too) in the gantt view?

Regards

Steve

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:55 AM

Answers

• Hi Steve,

Try this workaround:

You can add Successor column in the View. Press Ctrl+G. In Goto box, type the successor ID in the ID field and the cursor will navigate to the successor task.

Thanks and Regards, Roopkumar Kamat (MCITP) Please click Mark As Answer; if a post resolves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 9:25 PM
  • Split the screen into top and bottom panes, and in the bottom pane show predecessors and successors.

Then as you move from task to task in the top pane the predecessors/successors are visible for each task.

Then you can use ctrl-G to go to an ID number.

Do you have good enough WBS design with a good breakup with plenty of headings and sub-headings and only a few task under each one? Roll 'em up to save scrolling and just expand the sections you are interested in.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:29 AM

All replies

• Steve,

I could not remember such a thing, so took a look at Project's Help for article: "Keyboard shortcuts for Project 2010" and didn't spot anything. Perhaps you can also look in case I missed it or find other shortcuts that might interest you.

My hunch is it would be possible to write such a short-cut in VB and launch it with a Macro attached to a short-cut key. I don't know if would be difficult or not, but what immediately comes to mind is when a task has two successors, which to jump to?  So, might be something challenging.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 10:20 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Sorry, no - not to the best of my knowledge.  You can use the Inspect command to walk to predecessors through a project.

You can display successor information in a field, in the Task Form, in the Relationship diagram in the lower pane - but none give a "click-able" method of moving.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 10:25 AM
  • No, this feature/option is not available.

Sapna Shukla

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 10:59 AM
  • Rob / Julie / Sapna,

thanks for your replies, I thought this would be the case.

Regards

Steve

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 11:46 AM
  • Rob / Julie / Sapna,

thanks for your replies, I thought this would be the case.

Regards

Steve

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 11:52 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Try this workaround:

You can add Successor column in the View. Press Ctrl+G. In Goto box, type the successor ID in the ID field and the cursor will navigate to the successor task.

Thanks and Regards, Roopkumar Kamat (MCITP) Please click Mark As Answer; if a post resolves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 9:25 PM
  • Split the screen into top and bottom panes, and in the bottom pane show predecessors and successors.

Then as you move from task to task in the top pane the predecessors/successors are visible for each task.

Then you can use ctrl-G to go to an ID number.

Do you have good enough WBS design with a good breakup with plenty of headings and sub-headings and only a few task under each one? Roll 'em up to save scrolling and just expand the sections you are interested in.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:29 AM