WIN XP after defragmentation problem. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi i have a problem with a WIN XP SP3. After i defragmented the BASIC disk and tryed to compres it, unexpected restart come for.After the restart the drivers where gone or did not work.Downloaded and instaled the newest drivers, but instaled programs (the icons on desktop) are stil not working.I thaugt that it could hang on the compresion, but not sure.

PROBLEM: WIN XP disk 8 GB of space, instaled aktualization and not cleaned and defragmented for a year. Free space 500 MB. Cleaned up, defragmented and compresed the disk.Earnd 2 GB of space.Wanted instal more actualization but the problem i described about arived.

Do somebody have the same problem, or can help?

Sunday, March 6, 2011 1:16 PM

Answers

• If I understand correctly, your hard drive has a total capacity of 8 GB and it only had 500 MB free space but after defrag and compression, the free space went up to 2GB -- right?

If that's the case, I would guess part of the problem is the hard drive may be way too small: 8GB drives were fine for Windows 98, maybe even Windows ME, but for XP that's really pushing it.

Yes, Windows XP supposedly only requires 1.5 GB, but that's the minimum space requirement, leaving you with barely 6.5 GB for programs, files, etc. In my experience, anything below 20 GB was quite limiting and did not last very long with XP -- 40GB was barely enough so I can only imagine what 8GB would have been like.

Also, you really should not let your hard drive go over a year without clean up and defrag, as that just invites trouble (I know it's hard to keep up, but it's vital to defrag your drive).

It's possible the built-in defragmenter was not able to completely defrag the disk after so long and the disc cleanup may have removed programs that were not used frequently, which would account for the programs not working any more.

I recommend you get a larger hard drive (they are alot less expensive now than they used to be) and then clone the existing XP installation to the new drive for safekeeping.

Next  do a system restore on the original 8GB drive to a point before the cleanup/defrag/compression was done and see if all is fine (you may be lucky and find your programs are OK now).

If so, and if everything works well, erase the previous copy you made of XP,  clone the now repaired installation on the new drive and then install it as the main drive.

If no luck, then install XP on the new drive and follow this up with the programs you need.

And once you have done this and all is good, install an automatic program like Diskeeper on your system as it will not only defrag your drive, it will automatically keep it defragmented so you don't have to remember to maintain it.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 8:08 PM

All replies

• If I understand correctly, your hard drive has a total capacity of 8 GB and it only had 500 MB free space but after defrag and compression, the free space went up to 2GB -- right?

If that's the case, I would guess part of the problem is the hard drive may be way too small: 8GB drives were fine for Windows 98, maybe even Windows ME, but for XP that's really pushing it.

Yes, Windows XP supposedly only requires 1.5 GB, but that's the minimum space requirement, leaving you with barely 6.5 GB for programs, files, etc. In my experience, anything below 20 GB was quite limiting and did not last very long with XP -- 40GB was barely enough so I can only imagine what 8GB would have been like.

Also, you really should not let your hard drive go over a year without clean up and defrag, as that just invites trouble (I know it's hard to keep up, but it's vital to defrag your drive).

It's possible the built-in defragmenter was not able to completely defrag the disk after so long and the disc cleanup may have removed programs that were not used frequently, which would account for the programs not working any more.

I recommend you get a larger hard drive (they are alot less expensive now than they used to be) and then clone the existing XP installation to the new drive for safekeeping.

Next  do a system restore on the original 8GB drive to a point before the cleanup/defrag/compression was done and see if all is fine (you may be lucky and find your programs are OK now).

If so, and if everything works well, erase the previous copy you made of XP,  clone the now repaired installation on the new drive and then install it as the main drive.

If no luck, then install XP on the new drive and follow this up with the programs you need.

And once you have done this and all is good, install an automatic program like Diskeeper on your system as it will not only defrag your drive, it will automatically keep it defragmented so you don't have to remember to maintain it.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 8:08 PM
  • Hi there,

The in-built defragger is quite limited and wont defrag certain file types and some very large files. you might want to download a free trial of a powerful fully automatic defragger. The de-frag operation is a lot faster and it has different ways of performing the defrag. It also looks like you could do with some more hard-drive space!

Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:47 PM
  • Very helpfull information for me. As you wrote it is bether to reinstal the whole XP because teh 80 GB HDD is partitioned in 3. One 8 GB system and 2 volumes in logical ... I bought another 80 GB HDD for 8 EURO and will instal it on the machine.  1 HDD split on 2 parts bouth 40 GB and second HDD wil be mounted into second partition.I made everithing so as you sad, but not lucky. So reinstal is recomended. Buth thx 4 help:)

Friday, March 11, 2011 8:52 AM
  • You are very welcome!

That's a very good price for an 80GB HDD and your install plan should give you plenty of room to expand into.

I also cannot emphasize enough that you maintain your hard drives defragmented. I agree with RonsonJohnson that you should download a free trial of a powerful, fully automatic defrag program like Diskeeper.  It's automatic so you won't have to remember to run it and it will also prevent fragmentation.

You  can get more info here and a free trial: http://www.diskeeper.com/defrag/what-is-defrag/

Friday, March 11, 2011 5:39 PM
  • Thx for hints to trial defrag. I tested Defraggler and is also a powerful tool.Some of my colegues used it, so i asked for a try. Now only instalk the new HDD and Reinstal the system (couldnt make it because the machine is in use for a graduation exam).
    Monday, March 14, 2011 10:32 AM