Windows Update Failures, System corruption results, More Update Failures, some Terminal RRS feed

• Question

• Incredibly BAD Windows Update Issues, Unable to Update my System

I have been trying to update my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit OS for months, and each time I try it fails, even after doing all the steps in the Help Menu, and then some, including Fixit, the System Readiness Tool, and any aids I deem appropriate also for a given scenario. I am incredibly frustrated because I am talking about at least 55 updates won't install! How did this happen? I can only postulate my ideas, because I have thought a LOT about what is going on with that install and why it fails so thoroughly, and hard, too! By 'hard' I mean that I've *lost my System Folder*'s ability to boot the computer before, and then Restore didn't work either. I was forced to reinstall the entire volume with a 500+GB backup archive that I have under Paragon's Hard Disk Manager 10 Suite for 64-bit Windows 7.

When that happened, my recent updates were all lost, all over again, so I had to begin fresh and attempt to get the System up to current standards from last July 15, 2013, the date of that old, but complete archive of all my RAID Volume that I am talking about, a substantial volume with each and every licensed app I own on it, and current maintenance software suites including Glary Utilities, Wise 365 Pro, DLL Fixer, all the Paragon utilities, and 5-6 more licensed apps that I use for RAID Volume maintenance.

I now have an update dated March XX 2014, another doozy at more than 540GB size, that I made post-recovery from the last major crash where I lost everything and had to update from last July 2013. So that's a good thing...however, it is unable to restore all of the updates I managed to get on the Volume last night and yesterday, an all-day attempt at installing ALL missing updates on the volume. I was successful making certain updates, about 50 of them or so, plus the Language Updates for Ultimate 64-bit OS, so about 90 or  so went down the throat of this volume yesterday successfully, 

But in the end, I had to start up in Safe Mode with Networking, allow the volume update process to fail there, and Recover itself to some level, of which I do not know exactly where I stand with updating today because I just don't know which volume updates were lost in the Recover process the volume went through, a more than 5-+hour Recovery before the system settled down, and booted into Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Yes, a 5-hour+ Recovery process!

Everything in this volume's past history, and future also, revolves around large blocks of my time, to wit yesterday's nightmare update, update failure, and finally Recovery period of 5+ hours length.

I hate to make this seem even more complicated than it is, but my disclaimer is that this RAID 0 Volume originated from a Cloned backup of the entire Volume, made with Paragon's Drive Backup 10.0 software, a backup Clone of the entire volume with all licensed programs that I had, at the time, on it. To really complicate things a bit, my volume is administered by an Areca 1680IX-8 Hardware RAID Controller (RAID5 Inside), which has its own BIOS structure and boot procedure which is different than any of my other volumes or computers in my office setting, a home office with 4 large OEM PCs doing all kinds of work for my business and pleasure both, plus assorted MacBook Pros, PC notebooks, and other peripherals like wireless printers, copiers, FAX machine, and a complete Verizon FIOS 75/35 Mbps server network, where everything is networked, both PC and Macs, together for use in my studio.

This is a a large problem to tackle, I realize this 110% (!), but I really need to update this volume to current status, with all the new protections of the updates, Security updates, and virus definition updates that are un-applied right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and my apologies for the length of this post, but it's better I think to post all of that data right now, rather than have to explain it to anyone brave enough to post in this thread, at some later time. Thank you very much.

There is an entire thread with 4 replies already dedicated to my issue with links posted to my OneDrive, but apparently I cannot post any of that here 'until your account is verified'--the message I just received. Nice!

I will be happy to update this thread with all of that data, links, etc when I am permitted to do so, when my account is "verified" apparently, whatever that means.

rexrzer2014//rexrzer7777

Sunday, May 4, 2014 12:52 AM

Answers

• For account verification please read

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/15960.how-to-verify-your-msdntechnet-forums-account-so-that-you-can-post-images-and-links.aspx

Regarding your problems, it sounds like your images have issues. I would try clean installing Windows.

Trying to fix your OS for months is ridiculous. On this pc, even with 100+ installed programs, I can clean install in a day. (Thankfully, these days, this is only prompted by major hardware upgrades.) Libraries are moved off the Windows partition and incrementally backed up to three different devices/locations so that the decision to clean install can be made instantly.

...current maintenance software suites including Glary Utilities, Wise 365 Pro, DLL Fixer, all the Paragon utilities, and 5-6 more licensed apps that I use for RAID Volume maintenance.

It has been my experience that these types of programs are snake oil and cause many more problems than they fix. Apart from backup and defrag applications, usually the only programs I've installed for "RAID Volume maintenance" are those that accompany drivers.

Even though it is often hard to admit when one has been sold snake oil, if you clean install Windows, please try NOT installing these programs.
    • Edited by mystifeid Sunday, May 4, 2014 6:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Roger Lu Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:57 AM
    Sunday, May 4, 2014 6:02 AM

All replies

• For account verification please read

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/15960.how-to-verify-your-msdntechnet-forums-account-so-that-you-can-post-images-and-links.aspx

Regarding your problems, it sounds like your images have issues. I would try clean installing Windows.

Trying to fix your OS for months is ridiculous. On this pc, even with 100+ installed programs, I can clean install in a day. (Thankfully, these days, this is only prompted by major hardware upgrades.) Libraries are moved off the Windows partition and incrementally backed up to three different devices/locations so that the decision to clean install can be made instantly.

...current maintenance software suites including Glary Utilities, Wise 365 Pro, DLL Fixer, all the Paragon utilities, and 5-6 more licensed apps that I use for RAID Volume maintenance.

It has been my experience that these types of programs are snake oil and cause many more problems than they fix. Apart from backup and defrag applications, usually the only programs I've installed for "RAID Volume maintenance" are those that accompany drivers.

Even though it is often hard to admit when one has been sold snake oil, if you clean install Windows, please try NOT installing these programs.
    • Edited by mystifeid Sunday, May 4, 2014 6:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Roger Lu Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:57 AM
    Sunday, May 4, 2014 6:02 AM
  • I agree there is many (snake oil) programs.

You can get a free 90 day copy of windows 8.1 enterprise and it will have very minimal updates for your systems as well as just being awesome itself if a bios update will let you do so.

Also you can create a local account just by disconnecting from your network.

Of coarse Microsoft appreciates money for the hard work they do and i will be buying a license as soon as i can :) 

iron8orn

Sunday, May 4, 2014 7:21 AM