AIP/RMS issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I just activated RMS/AIP for my users and once i try to apply for a label i get error message:
    "azure information protection can not apply this label because it has been configured for a rights management template that can not be found."

I tried to delete the labels, reinstalls etc..

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 7:52 PM

All replies

• Howdy Happy,

Please confirm you're meeting the Azure RMS requirements. The most common scenario we see this error is whenever the application your using isn't designed for Azure RMS. Example would be Office 365 for Business. In order to use Office 365 (2013 or 2016) you'll have to have Professional plus to use the Azure RMS service. Even with the AIP client added, the Office client is in control of it's personal restrictions.

We bring this to the attention here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/information-protection/get-started/requirements

Applications
    The Azure Information Protection client can label and protect documents and emails by using the Office applications Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook from any of the following Office editions:
    Office 365 ProPlus with 2016 apps or 2013 apps (Click-to-Run or Windows Installer-based installation)
    Office Professional Plus 2016
    Office Professional Plus 2013 with Service Pack 1
    Office Professional Plus 2010 with Service Pack 2
    Other editions of Office cannot protect documents and emails by using a Rights Management service. For these editions, Azure Information Protection is supported for classification only. Labels that apply protection do not display on the Azure Information Protection bar.

For information about which Office editions support the data protection service, see Applications that support Azure Rights Management data protection.

If you're meeting these requirements, please test by doing the following.

1. Install the Azure Information Protection client : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53018

2. Create a test word document on your desktop

3. Right click > Classify and Protection

4. Apply a custom permission to the document

5. Attempt to open the document.

If it opens, you're not having auth issues between office and azure active directory

If you're not able to apply custom permissions with the AIP client, you might be having networking issues. ( Check the requirements page above ) - Or you have an onboarding control policy blocking your connectivity.

Hopefully this helps with discovering the issue,

Thanks,

Friday, December 22, 2017 8:31 PM