Exchange 2003 Contacts and Distribution List Delegation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm on a Win2003 DC, using Exchg 2003. I need to give an User access to create Mail enabled Contacts and Distribution Lists in our AD. I have gone through the Delegation Wizard and selected Custom, then selected Contacts, Address Type and Groups and given Full permission to the user. Doing so, the user can create the Contact and Distribution List, however it does not allow the user to create external emails for the contact. I've been searching everywhere and tested some suggestions out; one of which states to make the User a Local Admin on the Exchange Server and an Exchange Server Admin. This seems to work, however I'm not comfortable with the permissions. Is that the only way to do this? Please advice. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sau

Monday, November 12, 2012 8:19 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately in Exchange 2003, that information is correct to the best of my knowledge.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Monday, November 12, 2012 11:13 PM
  •  one of which states to make the User a Local Admin on the Exchange Server and an Exchange Server Admin.

Hi Sau,

Did you try to grant the Exchange View Only Administrator permission instead?

Similar post, please see:

Delegate Create & Delete Contact and Manage a Group

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvradminlegacy/thread/3fdfc7c8-14cb-4bac-8706-2a3ff09ab392

Frank Wang

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 2:56 AM
  • Thank you both for your replies.

Frank - Yes, I did try the Exchange View Only Admin permissions, and it failed with the error message as stated here http://support.microsoft.com/?id=905809 and it seems like the users/groups need to be Admins on the Exchg server. I haven't tried to install the Network Monitor, but I may try to install Exchg Mgmt Tools on the Workstation to see if that helps.

Thanks again!

Sau

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:39 PM