How to build an App-V Sequence with a service that is a slow starter RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All!

For a customer I'm building all kinds of App-V packages, but I have some trouble with a specific package.

The application uses a unix based database client which runs as a service, but the service is really slow in the startup. The service should run if the application starts, but because it starts really slow the application fails as it can not connect to the database...

I would like to put everything in one package, but the timing is a real problem. How can I tune the package so that it's made sure that the service is fully running before the application is started?

Thanks for the heads up!

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:45 AM

Answers

• Hi All!

First of all, thanks for your answers!

The service now starts at the same time as the application, but the application is dependent in the service. The application fails because the service is not yet completely running when the application is started. When the application is launched, the service should already run and should have created the connection to the database. So the application needs to wait for the service to be running and maybe even a few seconds more...

I'll write a vbs script that checks the running service and maybe waits a few seconds before the application starts. Then I will replace the vbs script with the application shortcut the users start. I hope and think this will fix my problem. ;-)

Thanks for the thoughts, it helped me on my way!

Harm Peter Millaard MCSE, MCSA, MCITP, CCA, CCNA, CCSP, VCP
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:43 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Does the client-application depend on a service? 
    /Znack
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:19 AM
  • You may be able to implement a script as the target for the OSD file, the script would then look similar to this

@ECHO OFF
    NET START "Application Service Name"
    START /d Q:\ASSET.001\Application APPNAME.EXE

That will start the service and then launch the application. Your implementation may need to include some sort of notification so that the user understands what's going on while the service starts.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:22 AM
  • Is the service slow to start up for the locally installed application also?
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:23 AM
  • Hi All!

First of all, thanks for your answers!

The service now starts at the same time as the application, but the application is dependent in the service. The application fails because the service is not yet completely running when the application is started. When the application is launched, the service should already run and should have created the connection to the database. So the application needs to wait for the service to be running and maybe even a few seconds more...

I'll write a vbs script that checks the running service and maybe waits a few seconds before the application starts. Then I will replace the vbs script with the application shortcut the users start. I hope and think this will fix my problem. ;-)

Thanks for the thoughts, it helped me on my way!

Harm Peter Millaard MCSE, MCSA, MCITP, CCA, CCNA, CCSP, VCP
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:43 AM
  • Good thinking an old net start could work wonders. Good luck :)
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 11:02 AM