nVidia 178.24 Installation in Vista Ultimate, Installation Completion Issue RRS feed

• Question

•  In order to get better performance in Valve's L4D, I installed the 178.24 nvidia drivers (I'm running on Vista Ultimate). The drivers installed properly and then upon reboot, I received a message that vista needed to 'finish installing the drivers' (the first time I received this messege, I expected it). I clicked 'finish installing' and the process completed (vista's tray msg told me that my drivers were properly installed and the process successfully completed).

Now, every time I reboot, it keeps asking me the same thing. It is like its not truly finishing (however, the drivers are likely working well because EVERYTHING works fantastice whether I finish or cancel when I boot up. It is almost like I need to run the installation 'as an admin' as vista allows but the account I am logged in with (the ONLY account) is already a full admin. Here is the detailed message I receive (what vista is requesting be run over and over at boot up):

"C:\Windows\System32\newdev.exe" "00000001" \\.\pipe\PNP_DEVICE_INSTALL_PIPE_1.{4b0a4620-56c2-41b7......

I don't have the rest of the GUID as the msg box I receive is not large enough to display the entire value (although you may not need that to offer suggestions).

Just for the record, I've already tried a full uninstall of the drivers and a full reinstall. When I do that I get zero error msgs (all completes successfully) just like it did the first time.

I LOVE vista and have been a long time user of home and ultimate but this one really perplexing me. Any suggestions? I tried searching the forums but didnt find anything so I am sorry if this is a repost.

Thanks!
    Cid
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 2:38 PM

Answers

• Hi Cid

Go to Start and type   msconfig   in the Search box.
    Press Enter.

In the Configuration Utility, click the Startup Tab.

In the Command Coulmn look for any line that refers to the "C:\Windows\System32\newdev.exe" file path.

Note: You may need to expand the command column to seee the entire line.

If you find it, remove the check mark from that line.

Click Apply/OK.

Reboot the computer.

Let us know the results.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 1:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Cid

Go to Start and type   msconfig   in the Search box.
    Press Enter.

In the Configuration Utility, click the Startup Tab.

In the Command Coulmn look for any line that refers to the "C:\Windows\System32\newdev.exe" file path.

Note: You may need to expand the command column to seee the entire line.

If you find it, remove the check mark from that line.

Click Apply/OK.

Reboot the computer.

Let us know the results.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 1:20 AM
  • Ronnie,

Thanks for the suggestion (I really thought that was gonna be it).  Unfortunately, there is no reference to that in my startup tab (there is an nvidia driver run32dll nvcpl.dll reference but that is just the drivers themselves I think). 

Oddly enough, I also searched the entire registry for "newdev" and for "4b0a4620" and found nothing.  I rebooted the PC and looked in msconfig while the 'finish prompt' was up and even clicked on the option I hadnt tried yet of 'ask me again later' and even after that i found no references in msconfig or the registry itself. 

I'm a bit perplexed as to how the PC even knows to try this each time if neither of those places references it (unless it is somehow part of the loading of the actual drivers themselves but that starts getting into the areas of driver/os interaction that is over my head). 

I also noticed something else, if I turn off UAC (User Account Controls) where anytime you want to install something vista will jump in and ask you if it is ok, I stop getting the message.  It does, however, appear that in the tray, the driver install wizard still runs for a second or two.  I think what is happening is that almost like when you plug in a PNP device, it loads drivers each time, it is somehow treating my vid card (and drivers) the same way rather than persisting them between sessions.  This is very odd (and a bit annoying).

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Cid
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:48 AM