XP SP3 image not extending to the full drive properly or not displaying properly. RRS feed

• Question

• I am using HP 7600 P4 2gb, 40GB HD PCs. I have an image (XP, SP3) that included the "ExtendOemPartition=1" command in the sysprep file. On some installs the image extends to the full 40GB drive, on others it does not. The drives that do not extend properly show only the original 12GB image as their total size, but under Disk Management, the graphic shows the entire C drive extended to the full size of the 40 GB disk. So, on one screen I see the C drive listed as a 12GB drive and also as a 40GB drive at the same time.

The only reference I could find to this was http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329826, and that seems to only apply to Windows 2000.

So, two questions really.:
    1. How do I fix the drives to use the full space of the drive as it should. A solution that works remotely would be preferably as some of the PCs shipped to remote locations already. These locations are connected via VPN and the stations are accessible with VNC.

2. How do I prevent the same error from occurring on future images? Right now it appears to be random, and since we are using identical hardware, I am not sure there are any variables to check.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 2:46 PM

Answers