Install and Capture fails if specified any windows updates or software to install, 0x00000004 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a standard (Build and capture) OSD task sequence set to install Windows Vista with SP1 (from original install source), I then have it install windows updates, software, and then capture it. It is failing at the Preparing the machine for capture (sysprep) phase. Whats strange is if I disable or remove all the software and remove the windows update step, it works fine. If I then re-enable just software updates, even if I have no updates advertised it fails. I also tried leaving updates disabled, and installing some software and it fails as well... I have tried setting it not to join the domain, and join a workgroup, but then software updates fails.

The message on the laptop is 0x00000004 which is system cannot open the file.

Here is a few sections from smsts.log

bufType != NetSetupDomainName, HRESULT=80040004 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\osdcore\deployutil.cpp,538)

Computer is part of domain 'mydomainhere', disjoin and start image capture

VerifyNotDomainJoined( bDebugChecksOnly ), HRESULT=80040004 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\osdcore\deployutil.cpp,601)

DeployUtil::VerifyCaptureRequirements(m_bDebug), HRESULT=80040004 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\prepareos\prepareos.cpp,1279)

Machine does not meet OSD capture requirements. Capture can not continue.

Unable to sysprep the machine, hr=80040004

pCmd->Sysprep(bActivate, bMsd), HRESULT=80040004 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\prepareos\main.cpp,270)

Sysprep'ing the machine failed, hr=80040004

From the log it looks like it can't find the .cpp file. Not sure if this is the e drive on my SCCM server, or its mapped to it, or copied to the local machine? I can't figure out why removing updates and software from the task sequence makes it work. The other thing I noticed is that it reboots before preparing the machine for capture, is it maybe not reconnecting the server share?

Friday, July 25, 2008 6:18 PM

Answers

• i had this same problem on a windows xp reference machine. i managed to work around it by having it join a workgroup and fixing the software updates failure problem that you mentioned.

1. change the Apply Network Settings step to join a workgroup (this step breaks windows updates)

2. added SMSSLP=myserver.mydomain.net SMSMP=myserver.mydomain.net to the installation properties box on the Setup windows and ConfigMgr step

3. added the ConfigMgr server locator point to the server's roles

4. right clicked the <site code> - <site name> under Site Management and selected properties, the advanced tab and checked publish the default management point in dns (intranet only)

Friday, August 8, 2008 1:43 PM

All replies

• Do you have a local Security Policy that requires a complex password? Just throwing that out there. The prep for capture resets the PW to blank during the process. Try disabling the policy if so...

Aaron

Friday, July 25, 2008 11:29 PM
  • i had this same problem on a windows xp reference machine. i managed to work around it by having it join a workgroup and fixing the software updates failure problem that you mentioned.

1. change the Apply Network Settings step to join a workgroup (this step breaks windows updates)

2. added SMSSLP=myserver.mydomain.net SMSMP=myserver.mydomain.net to the installation properties box on the Setup windows and ConfigMgr step

3. added the ConfigMgr server locator point to the server's roles

4. right clicked the <site code> - <site name> under Site Management and selected properties, the advanced tab and checked publish the default management point in dns (intranet only)

Friday, August 8, 2008 1:43 PM
  • Awsome, that fixed both Windows Updates not working if not joined to Domain, and also Task Sequence Capture failing.

Thank you James!

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 7:10 PM
  • On step 3, how do you install the ConfigMgr server locator point to the server roles? I could not find that role in server manager.

Jay

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:01 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been on leave recently.

Go into configmgr console.

Expand Site Database, Site Management, <Site Name>, Site Settings, Site Systems,

Check to make sure that the role does not already exist on one the site system that you are going to install it on. If it does then you do not need to install it (and it won't show up in the list of new roles that can be installed)

Right click the server that you want the role installed on and select New Roles, click Next, Select the Server Locator Point Role, Click Finish.

All done.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 10:38 AM