App-V 5.0 SP2 HF4 RDS Issue RRS feed

• Question

• greetings one and all

I am in the process of building a RDS server and would like to use App-V on this, we currently use App-V for our thick clients.

I have installed the RDS Client ( v5.0 Sp2 ) , the hotfix ( HF4 to match our desktops ) and popped the clientUI on.  The settings are configured to be applied via GPO and are applying.   I have configured the SCS option.

My issue is that when an AD account logs on the apps are delivered ( well they appear in the client UI ), but I am unable to launch anything.

The logs aren't showing anything obvious, anyone got any additional troubleshooting tips for RDS clients??

• Edited by JPUK Tuesday, November 10, 2015 11:10 AM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 11:09 AM

All replies

• Do they launch when you disable SCS or when you mount a package?

Twitter | Blog | App-V Deployment Whitepaper | Microsoft Application Virtualization 5.1 eBook

If you see a post that helped you please click Vote As Helpful and if it answered your question please click Mark As Answer.
    This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 11:37 AM
  • I have changed the RDS to use the GPO without SCS and I can't get anything to launch.

Is there a good RDS document to follow?

The PC Desktop clients work really well and has done for a significant amount of time

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 3:10 PM
  • I have changed the RDS to use the GPO without SCS and I can't get anything to launch.

Is there a good RDS document to follow?

The PC Desktop clients work really well and has done for a significant amount of time

There is, it's available here

Page 17 contains info about Integrating App-V with RDSH

Twitter | Blog | App-V Deployment Whitepaper | Microsoft Application Virtualization 5.1 eBook

If you see a post that helped you please click Vote As Helpful and if it answered your question please click Mark As Answer.
    This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 8:52 PM
  • thanks for the reply

I have checked the document and it looks like what I completed was in the right order

1. Install RDS

2. Install RDS App-V Client ( I also added the Hotfix )

I can see the packages listed, and when I use the SCS setting notice that size reduces, just nothing will launch

LOGS: AppV\Client\Virtual Applications

The virtual application 'C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Integration\049994E4-A2B0-4029-ABB1-18FAC308D7DE\Root\7-Zip\7zFM.exe' could not be started because the App-V Subsystem 'Virtual Filesystem' could not be initialized. {error: 0x74300D0A-0x20006}

• Edited by JPUK Wednesday, November 11, 2015 8:37 AM added error message
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 8:23 AM
  • Ok, maybe the solution in this thread will help you.

Reinstalling the client through GUI and configuring the client settings through powershell.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 10:46 AM
  • thanks

I set the registry key and removed/re-added the client, however the behaviour remains the same.  Packages appear for the user but nothing appears when they are launched.

This time I have only installed the base 5.0 SP2 client

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 12:32 PM
  • Do you run any Profile Manager on this system? Is this a Citrix (PVS?) RDS Server?

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 7:41 PM
  • Thanks We will be using AppSense once I can get Appv working. This is just a RDS server
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 7:49 PM
  • You mentioned that you install the Client UI. Since this is also a App-V Package, does that work on the RDS Server?

What happens when you run the following PowerShell (in user context):

Get-AppvPublishingServer | Sync-AppvPublishingServer

Does that run through without any errors?

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 9:14 PM
  • It sounds to me like you've published the application on the machine at some point, but it isn't published to the user that is launching it.  

If the application is on the machine, the user can see the exexcutable in C:\ProgramData\App-V\<pkgGUID>\<versionGUID>\.  If they launch this, but don't have the application published to them, then the user experience will be that absolutely nothing happens.

I recommend publishing the application globally, and then trying to run it as the user.  If it runs, you know it's a publishing problem.  You can publish it globally by using the following command line:

get-appvclientpackage <packagename> | publish-appvclientpackage -global

• Marked as answer by Brandon RecordsModerator Monday, December 7, 2015 5:31 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by JPUK Thursday, December 31, 2015 10:25 AM
    Monday, November 16, 2015 9:22 PM
  • It sounds to me like you've published the application on the machine at some point, but it isn't published to the user that is launching it.  

If the application is on the machine, the user can see the exexcutable in C:\ProgramData\App-V\<pkgGUID>\<versionGUID>\.  If they launch this, but don't have the application published to them, then the user experience will be that absolutely nothing happens.

I recommend publishing the application globally, and then trying to run it as the user.  If it runs, you know it's a publishing problem.  You can publish it globally by using the following command line:

get-appvclientpackage <packagename> | publish-appvclientpackage -global

thanks for the reply.

the applications are published either as global or user, and the user trying to use them is the only user that has logged onto the Terminal Server.   After having rebuilt the RDS twice, first time I wasn't sure if the issue was related to an underlying disk issue in the VM farm, I am now thinking that something is corrupted/missing with the RDS client.

Does anyone have a install guide for App-V and RDS as the MS guide appears not be helping

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 8:02 AM
  • Maybe your AppV Client has the LocalVFSSecuredUsers keys present?  http://trentent.blogspot.ca/2014/09/appv-5-unable-to-launch-applications.html

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Virtualization\LocalVFSSecuredUsers

Monday, December 14, 2015 2:55 PM
  • thanks

I did have that regkey, I have deleted and rebooted, but alas the apps still won't launch.

After checking AppV\Client logs I can see loads of these type messages

A request for the file C:\ProgramData\App-V\7039CCDA-6CC0-4F5D-87D4-3661647594DA\24590BCF-AB35-4978-BF82-31CDF3E24B91\Root\filezilla.exe from process 0x344 is being processed as an alternate user S-1-5-21-numbers

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 8:24 AM
  • Hi JPUK, those message imply that you are using shared content store.  Have you tried fully-mounting the package?
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 11:37 PM
  • yes, and that still doesn't work...

sorry for delay been away, now back and trying to understand why this isn't working

I have installed all of the pre-requisites that we use on our standard client, and those work fine.  The RDS side of things looks fine apart from App-V.

I am at a loss to why even setting the settings manually, I can't launch any App-V apps.

checking the logs I can now see

The virtual application 'C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Integration\FA3F94FD-E696-469B-B776-3F57E0043A09\Root\notepad++.exe' could not be started because the App-V Subsystem 'Virtual Filesystem' could not be initialized. {error: 0x74300D0A-0x20006}

All I can find for this relate to a reg key Ntfsdisable8dot3Namecreation, which I have made sure is the value of 2 and rebooted the server for the change to take affect.

has anyone got this working? and if so what guide did you follow...

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 2:01 PM
  • right, I have rebuilt the server and tried the normal x64 bit client and this is also reporting the same errors in the event log.

I have re-downloaded the MDOP which has App-V 5 SP2 in it, and tried that client and still I get the 

could not be started because the App-V Subsystem 'Virtual Filesystem' could not be initialized. {error: 0x74300D0A-0x20006}

Not quite sure what is going on, but it appears that I can't get App-V 5.0 SP2 to run on Windows 2008r2 not matter how vanilla the server build is

Also tried App-V5 SP3 and the same error is produced

• Edited by JPUK Thursday, December 31, 2015 11:17 AM Tried App-V5 SP3 instead
    Thursday, December 31, 2015 10:21 AM