Multi-number support RRS feed

• General discussion

• Just wondering how others are handling multi-number support request for Lync especially with existing Cisco users.

i would assume with Lync, the UC concept is about finding the person and then the number and not find the numbers and then find the person.

Looking forward to responses.

Regards

Sarbjit Gill
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 4:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You are right, the basic premise of Lync is to find people not dial numbers, so it is not overly geared up for multiple "lines" like a Cisco phone might be.

That being said a user can have a public number, and a secondary inbound only private line (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg412728.aspx). There are also team call groups, call forwards and Response groups which can be used to mimic most "old style" telephony setups.

If you want specific recommendations can you share the scenario you wish to achieve.

hope that helps

Tom

Tom Arbuthnot, Consultant Modality Systems
    Blog: Lync'd Up Blog Subscribe for updates: Email or RSS
    Twitter @tomarbuthnot
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 8:40 AM
  • Thanks Tom.

The private lines seems to have a lot of limitations, including not being listed in the directory etc.

i guess i am looking at having the same Cisco based features.

Regards

Sarbjit Gill
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 11:38 AM
  • To be a bit more specific. Think of OFF-NET and ON-NET numbers. The DID number range is the OFF-NET. The company has a full range of internal ON-NET numbers. Typicall an internal number will be something like xxx (region)-xxxx(site)-xxxx(unique per user number)

Now the challenge is having Lync support both the DID number range (OFF-NET) assigned to users and then the internal full length numbers (ON-NET) as well.

This is how the multi number support question came about.

Regards 

Sarbjit Gill
    Friday, January 6, 2012 12:35 PM