remote access vpn server 2008 issue RRS feed

• Question

• For some reason we can't connect to our VPN server from home but we can from work. Nothing has changed. No errors are showing up in windows 2008 server log. It tries to connect but eventually fails. I have checked all of the configuration and nothing has changed. I can do a wire shark trace on the server and it sees my home IP address coming in. The only thing that has happened is a power loss once but still work connections are okay. I did have to reboot the server in order for the work access to start working again but the remote users had no luck. I hope I have posted to correct forum
    Wednesday, November 16, 2016 9:22 PM

Answers

• I also ran into a similar problem with RRAS when the remote adapter was set to a Public network category instead of Private or Domain. Once I set the category to Private (in my case) it started working immediately. 
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 1:40 AM

All replies

• I also ran into a similar problem with RRAS when the remote adapter was set to a Public network category instead of Private or Domain. Once I set the category to Private (in my case) it started working immediately. 
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 1:40 AM
  • Thanks that didn't work.
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 2:29 PM
  • You might have no choice but to disable "Routing and Remote Access" and then reconfigure it. At many times that has fixed the problem for me. When you "Configure and Enable Routing and Remote Access" be careful of the wizards. I would recommend always using the "custom" option for the setup.

The times I've done this was for PPTP or SSTP vpn connections and it takes about 5 minutes and almost always works. If by chance, your server is also your router you will have more things to take into consideration. Again, be careful when using the setup Wizards. You could inadvertently configure an additional router in your domain causing other problems.

I hope this helps, if not please supply more detailed information, logs etc...

This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties of any kind, either expressed or implied, and confers no rights. Always test before!

Friday, November 18, 2016 2:15 AM
  • Hi Server,

>>I can do a wire shark trace on the server and it sees my home IP address coming in.

Have you configured network policy for VPN server?

If yes, please check if VPN server has sent RADIUS message to NPS server, and NPS did not refuse RADIUS message from VPN server.

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 18, 2016 2:17 AM