Can I create a Win 7 Recovery Image *Bootable* USB THUMB DRIVE? -- (Instead of cd/dvd) RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi

Can someone share how to create a  Windows 7 Recovery Image USB THUMB BOOTABLE DRIVE?  -- I mean in place of the Boot DVD that Windows Backup offers to create after you've created an image?

I assume that there must be a way to do this?

Thanks in advance!!

• Changed type tfcolligan Monday, April 18, 2011 2:12 PM
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First, I need to advise that the System Image which created by the Backup component is unbootable.

Please refer the following link to create the bootable Windows 7 installation USB drive.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx

Then you may create the System Image on the other USB drive to back up the system.

Thanks.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, April 18, 2011 9:23 AM
  • Jake I understand fully that the image is not bootable.

I don't want to install Windows 7 from a USB drive.

I only want to create a "Bootable USB" that I can use to start the image restore (instead of a CD or DVD).

Can you tell me if this is possible?  

Thanks very much!

Monday, April 18, 2011 2:12 PM
  • Hi,

You can create a Windows 7 installation USB drive first, then save the backup image on the same drive.

When you want to perform System Restore, you may plug-in the drive => Hit Windows Recovery => then choose the backup image on the drive where it saved.

If you do not want to install the Windows 7 from the USB drive and need to release the more capacity on the drive. You can delete the install.wim file to save capacity.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:10 AM
  • Juke, Thanks, but my question remains not answered,

I only want to know one thing.

***How do I create a USB BOOT "DISK" using a USB Drive.  Not the IMAGE --just the boot files

In other words, I want my 2 gig USB THUMB DRIVE to behave just like the Recovery CD/DVD.

I only want the steps of how to create the BOOTABLE USB. 

(Forget about the image  --- I keep the image on on another hard drive, and NOT the USB)

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:04 PM
  • With Windows AIK you can make it , theoretically. The question is why

you need it. If you have not CD/DVD drive, the solution is simple, attach

USB DVD drive. I have another requests. Many Windows 7 from my lab and

from my clients, all about, lets say 50 CDs, is too much and not practical.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:55 PM

***How do I create a USB BOOT "DISK" using a USB Drive.  Not the IMAGE --just the boot files

In other words, I want my 2 gig USB THUMB DRIVE to behave just like the Recovery CD/DVD.

(Forget about the image  --- I keep the image on on another hard drive, and NOT the USB)

See the following guide to make a recovery USB drive:

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-repair-windows-7-from-usb-flash-drive-repair-without-installation-dvd-disc/

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
    FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:09 PM
  • See the following guide to make a recovery USB drive:

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-repair-windows-7-from-usb-flash-drive-repair-without-installation-dvd-disc/

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
    FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers

Thanks so much for that. That is all I wanted to know. Phew! It really took some doing to get to the answer, which I knew would end up being basic stuff. I applaud you for being able to discern what I was asking ---and gosh, only 3 medals by your name! Unbelievable ---all the brain power it took to arrive at this place. Again, many thanks!

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:44 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for TrekDozer's reply.

You may also refer to the following link.

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2010/05/11/installing-windows-7-system-recovery-into-usb-flash-drive/ 

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:26 AM
  • Thanks for all your replies. Great choices. I am glad I found you.
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:00 AM

Herein lies the problem with Microsoft support. So many times, the techs cannot answer your question so they deflect it by asking WHY you want to do it this way instead of that way. This is where the technicians here are weak.
    Friday, March 7, 2014 1:18 PM