Outlook 2010 File Kicking New Files Out RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there - I would very much appreciate a solution to this problem once and for all.  I've been dealing with it for some time now and I've got to do something...

OUtlook 2010.  I use files to save old emails.  I need to keep these old emails because these are customers of mine who I've done work for.  I need a record of this.  There are about 7,000 emails dating back to 2010 or so.

Problem - seems that the file I've created "closed tickets", has too many emails in it.  Seems that Outlook has a limit to the size of this file, although I've gotten different information as to what that size limit is.  

I think its at the limit and its kicking out new emails sometimes.  Sometimes it does wierd things to my inbox like duplicate emails and making emails disappear.

I don't think I want to compact it?  I guess I want to archive?  

Not sure where to start.  

thanks!

Sunday, February 4, 2018 3:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In order to fix the issue more efficiently, I'd like to clarify the following questions?

>>I use files to save old emails.

What kind of files do you use to save old emails? Are these old emails saved in local PST files? If so, are they stored in the default PST file or in additional PST files that attached in Outlook?

>>Seems that Outlook has a limit to the size of this file, although I've gotten different information as to what that size limit is.  

How large is the file now? 

>>I don't think I want to compact it?  I guess I want to archive? 

You may consider using archiving, or you may try creating new PST files, and manually move some old emails to the newly created PST file and see whether it helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by ashburg Monday, February 12, 2018 6:55 PM
    Monday, February 5, 2018 2:05 AM
  • Thank you for the update.

There are two kinds of PST files: ANSI format and UNICODE format. UNICODE format is the new pst-file format introduced since Outlook 2003. Previous versions of Outlook were using ANSI format. ANSI PST has a limitation of up to 65,000 items per folder and an overall PST size of 2 GB. If the PST was created in the oldest versions of Outlook, the number of items per folder was as low as 16,000.

You may follow the following steps to determine whether you are using an ANSI PST or an UNICODE PST:

1. Go to File > Account Settings.

2. Switch to Data Files tab, double click on the pst file you want to check to open the Outlook Data File dialog.

3. If the format field shows "Outlook Data File", you are using a Unicode pst file. If the Format field shows "97-2002" in the format name, it is ANSI format.

If you are using an ANSI PST, you may consider to convert it to UNICODE format. See the following article for detailed steps:

https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/convert-ansi-pst-to-unicode-pst/

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 2:01 AM
  • "Outlook Data File" means that you are using a Unicode pst file. The maximum size of a Unicode pst-file in Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 is 20GB, while In Outlook 2010, 2013 and 2016, this limit has been set to 50GB. So, the file size is not the problem.

I'd recommend you first try using the Inbox Repair tool to scan and repair your PST file in case it's the corruption that in the PST file is causing this issue. For your convenience:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/272227/how-to-repair-your-outlook-personal-folder-file--pst

If repairing PST doesn't help, try creating a new PST file and then move all data in the PST file to the newly created one via dragging/dropping. Then, set the newly created PST file as the default data file of your email account.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Friday, February 9, 2018 8:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by ashburg Monday, February 12, 2018 6:54 PM
    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 8:22 AM
  • Hi ash,

Outlook 2010, 2013 and 2016 have the same default size limit 50 GB for PST files. Not sure why upgrading to Outlook 2016 fixed the issue, maybe something is wrong with your Outlook 2010 installation. Anyway, glad to hear that the problem has disappeared.

By the way, could you help your reply and the reply that helps as answers, so that it will benefit other community members who may encounter a similar issue?

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Monday, February 12, 2018 12:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In order to fix the issue more efficiently, I'd like to clarify the following questions?

>>I use files to save old emails.

What kind of files do you use to save old emails? Are these old emails saved in local PST files? If so, are they stored in the default PST file or in additional PST files that attached in Outlook?

>>Seems that Outlook has a limit to the size of this file, although I've gotten different information as to what that size limit is.  

How large is the file now? 

>>I don't think I want to compact it?  I guess I want to archive? 

You may consider using archiving, or you may try creating new PST files, and manually move some old emails to the newly created PST file and see whether it helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Monday, February 5, 2018 2:05 AM
  • Steve,

Thank you so much...

I just created a file in outlook that I put in favorites...nothing fancy.  I'm sure its a .pst file.  Its stored on my c: drive.  Its in the default outlook pst file.

I think the file size is 1,110,000 kb, which I compacted down from I think 1,800,000 kb.  I've just been playing around with it so I'm a little vague on size and where exactly to see that.  documents>outlook files>pst...is where I'm looking.  But I've got some in there called "backup", which a former IT helper might have created.

He told me the max was 2 gigs to my recollection, but thats why I'm here...I don't think that's accurate.

He did mention creating new pst files...that makes sense to me.  So what do I do just split the current file up into years?  The file in question is 'closed cases'.  They date back to 2010.  Should I just create files 2011, 2012, 2013 and so on and just cut and paste the emails from the "closed cases' file into those new files?  Will that relieve the problem?  

Again, the problem is that sometimes the "closed cases" file will reject new additions to the file.  It kicks them out, does funny things, duplicates emails, accepts the file but leaves a copy in the inbox...sometimes the inbox is constantly "synchronizing" even when it only has 4-5 emails in it.  ALSO, seems like emails from certain people (or certain emails like yahoo?) cause my inbox to constantly synchronize.  Which, when that's happening, I look on my iphone and the inbox is doing the same thing, flickering synchronizing, EMAILS DISAPPEARING LOL...

thanks again,

ash

Monday, February 5, 2018 12:29 PM
  • Thank you for the update.

There are two kinds of PST files: ANSI format and UNICODE format. UNICODE format is the new pst-file format introduced since Outlook 2003. Previous versions of Outlook were using ANSI format. ANSI PST has a limitation of up to 65,000 items per folder and an overall PST size of 2 GB. If the PST was created in the oldest versions of Outlook, the number of items per folder was as low as 16,000.

You may follow the following steps to determine whether you are using an ANSI PST or an UNICODE PST:

1. Go to File > Account Settings.

2. Switch to Data Files tab, double click on the pst file you want to check to open the Outlook Data File dialog.

3. If the format field shows "Outlook Data File", you are using a Unicode pst file. If the Format field shows "97-2002" in the format name, it is ANSI format.

If you are using an ANSI PST, you may consider to convert it to UNICODE format. See the following article for detailed steps:

https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/convert-ansi-pst-to-unicode-pst/

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Regards,

Steve Fan

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 2:01 AM
  • It shows as "Outlook Data File".  

So maybe I should split the file into several different files...7,000 emails in one file seems to be the problem.  Would that solve the overflow problem?

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 6:48 PM
  • "Outlook Data File" means that you are using a Unicode pst file. The maximum size of a Unicode pst-file in Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 is 20GB, while In Outlook 2010, 2013 and 2016, this limit has been set to 50GB. So, the file size is not the problem.

I'd recommend you first try using the Inbox Repair tool to scan and repair your PST file in case it's the corruption that in the PST file is causing this issue. For your convenience:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/272227/how-to-repair-your-outlook-personal-folder-file--pst

If repairing PST doesn't help, try creating a new PST file and then move all data in the PST file to the newly created one via dragging/dropping. Then, set the newly created PST file as the default data file of your email account.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Friday, February 9, 2018 8:47 AM
    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 8:22 AM
  • Hello,

How is everything going now? Do you need further assistance on this issue?

Regards,

Steve Fan

Friday, February 9, 2018 8:47 AM
  • Steve,

I just went ahead and upgraded from outlook 2010 to outlook 2016.  It seems to have ironed out some of the glitches.  Crossing my fingers as to the pst file size issue.  I'm not a super-tech with computers, so the items we went over to "fix" the pst file were too complicated for me...and I'm above average with fixing things, but its just beyond me.  Looks like some companies are capitalizing on that by selling $250 pst/ost file repair kits...so I just upgraded outlook.

So does it still give me the "synchronizing" problem constantly...the jury is out, we'll see.  

I think 2016 has a bigger capacity for the pst anyway right?  If so then there's the answer I would think...right?  Assuming the pst isnt overly corrupt.  

thanks,

ash

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, February 12, 2018 12:45 PM
    Friday, February 9, 2018 7:09 PM
  • Hi ash,

Outlook 2010, 2013 and 2016 have the same default size limit 50 GB for PST files. Not sure why upgrading to Outlook 2016 fixed the issue, maybe something is wrong with your Outlook 2010 installation. Anyway, glad to hear that the problem has disappeared.

By the way, could you help your reply and the reply that helps as answers, so that it will benefit other community members who may encounter a similar issue?

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Monday, February 12, 2018 12:45 PM