none
Query a List of Open WMI connections on a server from a remote system RRS feed

• Question

• We are monitoring a specific windows service on a server using Sitescope remote monitoring. The sitescope system uses a WMI method to Check if the service on a specific server is up or not. Initially it works like a charm but over time the WMI connections from sitescope time out and we have been told that Sitescope is not closing the WMI connection it opens gracefully and the open connections pile up.

I am looking for a way to list open WMI connections to a specific service and/or server from a remote system and a way to kill those connections via a scheduled PowerShell (or batch/perl) script. I was able to list specific classes by -list parameter of the Get-WmiObject cmdlet but am unable to determine which class will give me the information that I require and the method to kill those connections.

Friday, August 1, 2014 4:30 AM

Answers

• Sitescope is not closing the WMI connection it opens gracefully and the open connections pile up.

1. It's not clear what "not closing the WMI connection it opens gracefully" means. WMI is a management technology that uses DCOM to connect to remote computers. (Is it really a question about DCOM?)

2. It's not clear what specifically "open connections pile up" means and what problem(s) it causes.

3. This is really a support question for that software's developer, not a question about WMI.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Friday, August 1, 2014 2:01 PM

All replies

• You cannot do that.  It is not available.

Contact HP for assistance with updating and repairing the software.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Friday, August 1, 2014 9:32 AM
  • Sitescope is not closing the WMI connection it opens gracefully and the open connections pile up.

1. It's not clear what "not closing the WMI connection it opens gracefully" means. WMI is a management technology that uses DCOM to connect to remote computers. (Is it really a question about DCOM?)

2. It's not clear what specifically "open connections pile up" means and what problem(s) it causes.

3. This is really a support question for that software's developer, not a question about WMI.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Friday, August 1, 2014 2:01 PM