none
Backing up Virtual Machine that has Protection agent installed to do application level backup also RRS feed

• Question

• The solution to this problem has been thouroughly documented to add the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Virtualization\VssRequestor
    Name: BackupType
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1

However I don't have Virtualization\VssRequestor.  Should I create the entire path and then add registry Key or does this not apply when you do not have the full path?

I have already installed the agent on SQL (and possibly will be doing exchange) and am doing application level backup and would like to backup the VM also.  I would like to configure this properly before having problems with my backups.  Thanks in advance

• Edited by John 134 Saturday, August 18, 2012 12:54 AM
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 12:53 AM

Answers

• Hi John 123,

To answer your question directly, yes, Add the keys and value and set it as per the KB to avoid the possibility of log truncation issues should simultanious backups occur.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, September 2, 2012 3:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

why would you need this reg key? In the KB article it states quite clearly (under issues 3) that the backup process might fail if you do a Host level backup of the VM and at the same time (!) do an application level backup of the same VM. OK, so simply never do that and you will not run into this problem.

We are backing up our Hpyer-V Cluster VMs and for most application data (including Sharepoint, SQL, Exchange) we also do application level backups. Those backups types are in different protection groups starting and finishing at different times and I have never run into problems that the backup fails because I am doing Host level backups and application level backups.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 2:42 PM
  • Hi John 123,

To answer your question directly, yes, Add the keys and value and set it as per the KB to avoid the possibility of log truncation issues should simultanious backups occur.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, September 2, 2012 3:37 PM
  • Hello Mike,

Thank you for answering the question.

John

Thursday, September 6, 2012 2:15 AM