Moving Sharepoint 2007 site to a new server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am in the process of upgrading to Sharepoint 2013, but my first step needs to be moving my current sharepoint 2007 farm to a new server.  

The current 2007 server has IIS installed locally and also SQL Server.  I have built out a new machine and have Sharepoint 2007 installed on it and patched to the same level.  I have also gone ahead and installed SQL Server 2008R2 as the docs indicate that Sharepoint 2007 patched will support it.

I need to move everything.   I have tried several attempts and have not been succesful.

My attempts thus far have been by doing a full backup from the Centrak Administration > Operations Menu > Perform a backup and then restore a backup.

I may have the terminology correct.  I am new to this.   However, the restore works (mostly) for one site and then fails.  As I understand it, it is because the site uses Host Headers rather than having separate IP's for each site.

I have tried using SQL Server to backup and restore, the databases restore fine, but I am not sure what to do to get Sharepoint to talk to the restored database.

How can I do this?  The new server should be a replica of old server.

Thanks,

Chris

Monday, December 14, 2015 11:08 PM

All replies

• Once your database is restored you need to attach the content database to the web application using STSADM. 

https://alkalony.wordpress.com/2009/08/25/add-existing-content-database-to-a-site-collection-using-stsadm/

Chris Jorgensen MCTS - MOSS 2007 and SharePoint 2010, MCPD - SharePoint 2010

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 2:27 PM