Unable to access FTP share via UNC path RRS feed

• Question

• Our FTP server is set up on a sub-domain -- our internal staff could easily access shares on the server via UNC path. We recently deployed a new VPN (due to a merger) requiring us to now use FQDNs on many existing server resources such as our WSUS GPO. Now our internal staff can no longer resolve FTP server shares via UNC path. Is there a config setting within the IIS Manager where this can be modified?

Hank Vare

Friday, August 11, 2017 5:01 PM

Answers

• Hi techrep43,
    It should be the connection issue between VPN and IIS. In IIS, there should have none proxy mode configuration, you could only modify the application pool identity and login user. Are you sure it is not an VPN side issue?

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by techrep43 Wednesday, August 16, 2017 5:12 PM
    Wednesday, August 16, 2017 2:11 AM

All replies

• Hi techrep43,

To enable the FTP share via UNC path:

1.Please ensure the FTP server could access the UNC path
    2.Please create the user with same name on both of these server.
    3.Grant permission for the new-created user account.
    4.Change application pool identity and basic setting -connect as FTP authentication->anonymous authentication->edit->username paassword to the new login user.
    5.Create the virtual directory to map the IIS to UNC path.

If the steps above doesn't fix your issue, please post the problem to IIS forum for further help:

https://forums.iis.net/

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 14, 2017 6:52 AM
  • Candy,

Sorry I should have clarified in my original post that we can successfully resolve the UNC path when on the actual network, it's only when using the new VPN that we cannot resolve the UNC path. Is there a field within the FTP server configuration that requires a FQDN be used?

Hank Vare

Monday, August 14, 2017 2:25 PM
  • Hi techrep43,

Could you please provide the FTP log entry?

Best Regards,

Candy

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 6:17 AM
  • The FTP log contains external IPs and therefore I wouldn't want to post it here, however I can tell you the log file only logs external connections which are NOT having any problems. The problem is accessing the FTP server shares from within the network and I assume is a configuration issue on the FTP server. 

Hank Vare

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 2:06 PM

• Hi techrep43,
    It should be the connection issue between VPN and IIS. In IIS, there should have none proxy mode configuration, you could only modify the application pool identity and login user. Are you sure it is not an VPN side issue?

Best Regards,

Candy

• Marked as answer by techrep43 Wednesday, August 16, 2017 5:12 PM
    Wednesday, August 16, 2017 2:11 AM
  • Candy,

Thanks so much for your help. I was able to get around the issue by accessing the FTP server link instead of the UNC path.

Hank Vare

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 5:12 PM