none
how to export data from p6 to project server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• hi every one,

what's the best way to export data from Primavera p6 to project server 2010?

is there any way to export from p6 database to project server database?

it's a time consuming process to do it one by one from P6 to project professional and then import to EPM

thanks for any help

Thursday, November 28, 2013 3:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Sam,

As far as I know, you can export one by one Primavera files to MS Project using MPP or XML format. You might write scripts in order to automatize the processus.

I'm not a DB but since Primavera is Oracle based, the DB schemes must be totaly different. Thus it might be complicated to migrate DBs from P6 to Project Server.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Thursday, November 28, 2013 4:16 PM
  • Hi Sam,

As far as I know, you can export one by one Primavera files to MS Project using MPP or XML format. You might write scripts in order to automatize the processus.

I'm not a DB but since Primavera is Oracle based, the DB schemes must be totaly different. Thus it might be complicated to migrate DBs from P6 to Project Server.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Thanks Guillaume,

our primavera database is sql server express because of that I'm looking for a practical way to export directly from p6 DB to Project Server DB

Friday, November 29, 2013 1:48 PM
  • Sam-Net --

In our organization, we were tasked with transferring around 50 projects from Primavera to Project Server 2010.  It was not nearly as easy as one might hope.  We tried exporting the Primavera projects using both the MPX file format and the XML format, but the export process crashed for each file format.  However, that does not mean you might be able to export your Primavera projects to either MPX or XML, and then be able to import them into your Project Server 2010 system.  I would recommend you try that process first.

If that does not work, you can create one or more custom layouts in Primavera that contain the data you want to export to Microsoft Project 2010.  You can then copy the data from the Primavera layout and then paste it into an Excel workbook.  From there, you can import the Excel file into Microsoft Project 2010 using the Import Wizard.

As Guillaume already told you, I believe there will be no simple way to simply extract the Project Server 2010 data from the Primavera database.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, December 2, 2013 5:52 PM
  • Sam-Net --

In our organization, we were tasked with transferring around 50 projects from Primavera to Project Server 2010.  It was not nearly as easy as one might hope.  We tried exporting the Primavera projects using both the MPX file format and the XML format, but the export process crashed for each file format.  However, that does not mean you might be able to export your Primavera projects to either MPX or XML, and then be able to import them into your Project Server 2010 system.  I would recommend you try that process first.

If that does not work, you can create one or more custom layouts in Primavera that contain the data you want to export to Microsoft Project 2010.  You can then copy the data from the Primavera layout and then paste it into an Excel workbook.  From there, you can import the Excel file into Microsoft Project 2010 using the Import Wizard.

As Guillaume already told you, I believe there will be no simple way to simply extract the Project Server 2010 data from the Primavera database.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

thanks Dale for your reply

is there any way to work with P6 web services and connect them with EPM web services?

Sunday, December 8, 2013 8:25 AM
  • Sam-Net --

I believe the lead software developer on our team tried this approach, and he could not get it to work.  However, you might want to post this latest question as a new question in the Project Customization and Programming user forum to lead our software developer friends try and answer it:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/home?forum=project2010custprog&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, December 9, 2013 2:01 PM