how to get meta data from folder level to document level RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 level structure in my doclib, folder and document. I have some meta data for the level folder. but it can not be inherity to sub level. I mean I want to show the same meta data in document level.  I have read that many people suggest to use none folder structure. but we need folder really. How can I do that? Thanks!
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, August 26, 2011 8:20 AM admin q not general (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, August 26, 2011 7:24 AM

Answers

• Metadata columns are created at the library level, not at a folder level, so I'm not completely sure what you mean. (Unless you've made some custom content types??)

If you're looking to have a document inherit the values by default from those values set for the folder, then you could create a custom workflow to obtain the values from the containing folder, then write to the new document. (SPD is probably not strong enough, but VS can handle.)

---

In some cases, like for special security needs, it is ok to use folders.  But, most people don't understand that they can create a column, (call it Folder if you like) and use this column to mimic a folder structure.  Create views based on the 'Folder' column.

Steve Clark, MCTS | Twin-Soft.com
    Friday, August 26, 2011 6:15 PM