File Transfers RRS feed

• Question

• We have 2 identical Gateway computers with win 7.

One transfers video files ranging from 70 to a little over 100 mb/sec.

The other never gets over 11 and sometimes as low as 4 mb/sec.

Both transferring through ATT router in home network with 2 other computers.

Question: How can there be (why is there) such a big diff, and how can I speed up the slower transfers.

thanks much Jake

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:53 AM

All replies

• Jake

While they are the same model I doubt they are "exactly alike.  I would suspect the networking driver on the slow machine.  Update it to the most current EVEN if it is the same date as the one installed.

Wanikiya & Dyami -Team-ZigZag.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 7:32 PM
  • thanks zig zag:

will try that and let you know, Jake

Thursday, March 7, 2013 1:46 PM
  • zig zag:

searched web for new network driver, said latest was on machine

removed driver and software and restarted to force latest driver installation, but still have same problem

copied drivers on computer (2) that's doing up to 100 MB/sec and installed them on machine (3) that's doing 12 or less MB/sec, still no change

must conclude drivers not the problem/solution

got anything else?  thanks Jake

Friday, March 8, 2013 12:30 PM
  • Jake

It was worth a shot.  Does anything show in event viewer?  If you like we can take a look at it for you.

Also can you give us more info on the network (ie ethernet or wifi, what router, ISP, etc)

Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file here (if you can) to skydrive or a file sharing service

Friday, March 8, 2013 3:24 PM
  • Zig Zag:

See inserts in your text below;

Also can you give us more info on the network (ie ethernet or wifi, what router [AT&T Motorola NVG510], ISP [AT&T], etc)

Relative to Event logs, I have no problem with Zig Zag going directly into the 2 computers involved to make sure you get exactly what you need to further analyze the situation - do you have that capability?

thanks much Jake

Sunday, March 10, 2013 10:36 AM
  • Zig Zag:

Opened Event Viewer but there is no button to "Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator" as suggested.

However there is a button for "connect to another computer", does that mean we can connect with one of your machines so Zig Zag can have an up front and personal look?

If it makes any diff the 2 machines in question are as follows:

Gateway Comp No 2 DX4850-45U Prod ID: 00137-10880-83537-AA902

s/n 10800128363

Gateway Comp No 3 DX4850-45U Prod ID: 00359-OEM-8992687--00006

s/n 11200504201  

Please advise, thanks again much, Jake

Sunday, March 10, 2013 10:55 AM
  • Jake

They only reason I can think of that "run as admin" isnt there is if you are an administrator (your user account) Try typing eventvwr in search and hit enter.  If event viewer launches you have administrator permissions.

The connect is for another computer on your network so no.  There is an option for remote viewing called Team viewer that I use daily in my real job but its use is frowned on here for many reasons (liability, malware, potential for abuse).

Monday, March 11, 2013 1:52 PM
  • Zig Zag:

Yes, we have 5 computer banks on diff continents and I am the adm of KCMOUSA.

Ran the errors for you and uploaded to sky drive.

Really do appreciate you help, doesn't make any sense to me.

Jake

Monday, March 11, 2013 3:22 PM
  • Zig Zag:

If you guys give up, plse let me know?

Jake

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 2:52 PM
  • Jake

Havent given up but have been offline.  Did you ever get the event viewer uploaded?  Link?

Wanikiya & Dyami -Team-ZigZag. www.ZigZag3143.com email Admin@zigzag3143.com

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 11:32 PM
  • AGAIN, TO REPEAT:

Yes, we have 5 computer banks on diff continents and I am the adm of KCMOUSA.

Ran the errors for you and uploaded to sky drive.

Really do appreciate your help, cuz this thing doesn't make any sense to me.

Jake

PS: If you guys can't hdle this no problem, but romance not my style/Jake

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:56 AM
  • you guys just don't seem to know when you're in over your head, and you won't grow because you can't admit you don't know what you're doing

by the way, transfer speed is almost always determined by the speed of the HDs involved

better luck in the future (don't give up your day jobs), Jake

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:57 PM