Crippled DSL Connection on Vista Machine RRS feed

• Question

•  

Purchased an Alienware computer running Vista about 4 months ago and set up my Verizon DSL on it.  Was working perfectly fine for 4 months and the other night it became effectively unusable.  When logging on to the connection, it hangs on "registering your computer on the internet" after that it theoretically "connects," but the speed is so cripplingly slow it is basically nonexistent, (i.e. it attempts to load the default homepage but the green bar at the bottom basically stops and the page never loads fully although it keeps trying.)

I checked the modem and connection by reconnecting the ethernet cable to an old XP machine and the connnection works fine.  I am not using a router and only have the modem connected to a single machine. 

After 12+ hours on the phone with Verizon and Alienware, I am no closer to a resolution.  Based on their advice and assuming the system had been irrevocably corrupted somehow, I did a complete recovery of the system.  However, when I reestablished the connection, I had the same problem. 

Since Norton Internet Security 2007 is no longer installed on the system post-recovery (and I was using the same version on the XP) I don't believe this is the problem.  Ping tests result in normal speeds and Verizon shows that I am receiving normal speed.

I am no tech expert.  But after spending most of the weekend on the phone with Verizon "Premium" Technical Support and Alienware, I am at wits end.

I have ordered a newer version of the modem used by Verizon, but I do not have a lot of confidence that this will resolve the problem.

Does anyone know what may be causing this or how I should pursue diagnosing or resolving this issue?  Can provide more detail if necessary.  Any input at all appreciated.

Monday, January 14, 2008 5:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The below are my suggestions:

1. Replace the cable with a new one.

2. Update the network driver for Windows Vista.

Also, I'd like to suggest you use another computer to connect to internet and check whether there is the same problem.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, January 17, 2008 10:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The below are my suggestions:

1. Replace the cable with a new one.

2. Update the network driver for Windows Vista.

Also, I'd like to suggest you use another computer to connect to internet and check whether there is the same problem.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Thursday, January 17, 2008 10:07 AM

• Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!
    --------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 8:58 AM