locked
Error while mounting Windows 7 shared on Linux/Samba RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm seeing a problem when trying to mount a share from my Windows 7 (x86 based) PC from different Linux computers.
    One is a Linux-based Dreambox running kernel
    Linux dm7025 2.6.12.6 #1 Tue Jun 9 02:22:42 CEST 2009 mips unknown
    It logs the following in dmesg:
     CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -12
     CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -12
     CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -12
     CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -12

    The other is an Ubuntu installation, kernel:
    Linux xxx 2.6.28-14-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 8 07:21:34 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
    It logs the following (similar) in dmesg:
    [151330.018600]  CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -12
    [151330.018615]  CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -12
    [151330.304837]  CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -12
    [151330.304852]  CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -12

    I can use mount.cifs and mount other Windows shares without problems when this occurs - but not from this PC. If I reboot the Windows PC, the problem goes away for a while (typically a few hours) and then comes back.
    I see a similar issue in John Seghers post from Thursday, March 05, 2009 12:24 AM in this thead: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/0abaccc3-1187-4527-9113-c8e1629832db
    Monday, July 20, 2009 2:20 PM

Answers

  • After finding the above info in the eventlog, I searched around a bit and found this thread:
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1032714322
    I did the registry change mentioned there, and it seems to have fixed it.
    • Marked as answer by tn8or Monday, July 20, 2009 7:49 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2009 7:49 PM

All replies

  • Actually, looking at the eventlog, I see the following entry which I think coincides with the time I tried to mount:

    Log Name: System
    Event ID: 2017
    Level: Error

    "The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the server reached the configured limit for nonpaged pool allocations."

    Details:
    BODY{font:x-small 'Verdana';margin-right:1.5em} .c{cursor:hand} .b{color:red;font-family:'Courier New';font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none} .e{margin-left:1em;text-indent:-1em;margin-right:1em} .k{margin-left:1em;text-indent:-1em;margin-right:1em} .t{color:#990000} .xt{color:#990099} .ns{color:red} .dt{color:green} .m{color:blue} .tx{font-weight:bold} .db{text-indent:0px;margin-left:1em;margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;padding-left:.3em;border-left:1px solid #CCCCCC;font:small Courier} .di{font:small Courier} .d{color:blue} .pi{color:blue} .cb{text-indent:0px;margin-left:1em;margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;padding-left:.3em;font:small Courier;color:#888888} .ci{font:small Courier;color:#888888} PRE{margin:0px;display:inline}
    - < Event xmlns =" http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event " >
    - < System >
      < Provider Name =" srv " />
      < EventID Qualifiers =" 49152 " > 2017 </ EventID >
      < Level > 2 </ Level >
      < Task > 0 </ Task >
      < Keywords > 0x80000000000000 </ Keywords >
      < TimeCreated SystemTime =" 2009-07-20T14:12:51.589843700Z " />
      < EventRecordID > 3594 </ EventRecordID >
      < Channel > System </ Channel >
      < Computer > Dataspand </ Computer >
      < Security />
      </ System >
    - < EventData >
      < Data > \Device\LanmanServer </ Data >
      < Binary > 0000040001002C0000000000E10700C0000000009A0000C00000000000000000000000000000000012000000 </ Binary >
      </ EventData >
      </ Event >

    Monday, July 20, 2009 2:25 PM
  • After finding the above info in the eventlog, I searched around a bit and found this thread:
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1032714322
    I did the registry change mentioned there, and it seems to have fixed it.
    • Marked as answer by tn8or Monday, July 20, 2009 7:49 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2009 7:49 PM
  • That did the trick! Thanks for providing the link, and thanks to the original poster (wherever he may be) for doing the heavy-lifting:

    Open regedit goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ->SYSTEM ->CurrentControlSet ->Services ->LanmanServer -> Parameters. Then click createkey and create a DWORD with the name SMB2. The value should automatically be set as 0, which is correct to turn it off. Restart computer and fixed. To remove the fix and reenabled SMB2 simply remove the DWORD from the place above in the registry.
    Monday, November 15, 2010 4:02 AM