Top row number keys are disabled. RRS feed

• Question

• Using Win7 Ultimate64.  Typing numbers with the top row number keys yields nothing, though the symbols on the keys work fine (!@#$%^&*...see).  The number pad on the right also works fine.  This problem occurs with any keyboard I try (including the onscreen virtual keyboard), but does not occur using the same keyboards on a different PC, or even inside a virtual box version of the same OS.  I also tried uninstalling/reinstalling the keyboard.  I guess I must have inadvertently activated a cryptic keyboard shortcut, but my Google efforts have come up dry.  Thanks kindly.

Friday, March 11, 2011 6:16 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Currently, I suggest you fix your corrupted user profile:

Fix a corrupted user profile

Have a nice day.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum.

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:56 AM
    Friday, March 25, 2011 9:59 AM

All replies

• CTRL + Shift switches between multiple keyboard layouts. 

Is one of the shift keys physically stuck? 

Try Windows Logo key + U a to open the ease of access center and check the keyboard settings under "Make the keyboard easier to use"

Friday, March 11, 2011 9:40 PM
  • I only have US keyboard set as an option.  I added Dvorak and a few others to see what would happen.  I'm able to switch, but the number keys are still inactive. 

I don't think it's a physical keyboard problem, since I uninstalled my main keyboard and the problem still exists with my backup keyboards while my main keyboard works fine with my other PCs.

When I uninstalled the keyboard and restarted the PC, the problem was gone for my login (my password contains numbers), but once Windows came back up, the problem reappeared.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Friday, March 11, 2011 10:51 PM
  • Is this a PS/2 or usb type connection? Perhaps it is a damaged PS/2 connector on the computer.

Check to confirm that you are using the latest BIOS for the motherboard and that the correct settings are enabled for the keyboard in the BIOS. (usually F2 or Delete button after POST)

Saturday, March 12, 2011 2:38 PM
  • I flashed the bios to the most recent version.  The effect was the same as when I uninstalled the keyboard.  The  number keys worked for me to log into Windows, but failed as soon as the OS completed booting.

The keyboards I've tried have all been USB.  I don't see any problems in the device manager and this is not specific to any single USB port.

Again, thanks for your efforts.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 5:15 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

According to your description, I suggest you boot into Safe Mode to check what the result is.

Meanwhile, I would like to know if this issue occurred before; if not, try system restore to get back to a good state.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, March 14, 2011 10:05 AM
  • Booting in safe mode removes the problem, but it comes back on reboot. 

I'm quite sure that performing a system restore to last Thursday would take care of the problem if not for the inexplicable fact that some idiot did not have system restore activated on this PC and since I'm the only one that uses this PC...you get the picture.

Thanks very much for your input.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:49 AM
  • Hi,

If the fact is that there is no system restore point for using, we could perform a Clean Boot to find the root cause.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Have a nice day.

Alex Zhao

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:44 AM
  • Hi,

I'm wondering if the suggestion has helped or if you have any further questions.  Please feel free to let me know if you need any additional help.

Alex Zhao

Friday, March 18, 2011 7:02 AM
  • First let me thank you very much for your suggestion.  I became overwhelmed with work the last few days and was unable to proceed with troubleshooting.  I am doing so now and will let you know the outcome.
    Friday, March 18, 2011 5:14 PM
  • Even with all startup items and all services disabled (including Microsoft) the problem still occurs.
    Friday, March 18, 2011 5:53 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for update.

Try to test this issue via another user:

Create a user account

If it is possible, please try another keyboard to check this issue.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 10:09 AM
  • Hi Carlo,

Just a thought. Do you have any third party keyboard management software running which might explain it? I know some software can be used to remap your keys to create hotkeys which people use for games and the like.

Cathal

Cathal O'Brien BSc, PgDip, PhD . Computer Repairs @ TechSmart
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:56 PM
  • Now we're getting somewhere!  I created a new user and the problem did not occur under that account.  Clearly, the problem exists in my user account.

Is there a relatively quick/painless way to narrow down where in the settings the problem might be, or would it be easier to abandon the account and reinstall most of my programs?

Thanks a million.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 3:00 PM
  •  

Hi,

Currently, I suggest you fix your corrupted user profile:

Fix a corrupted user profile

Have a nice day.

Alex Zhao

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:56 AM
    Friday, March 25, 2011 9:59 AM
  • Hi,

How are you doing? If you have other questions, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thanks, and have a great day!

Monday, March 28, 2011 2:00 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Alex Zhao

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:56 AM
  • First let me express my gratitude for your help and suggestions and apologize for not following up with the forum.

Before I was able to follow the suggestions for repairing the corrupted user account, the problem "fixed itself" mysteriously.  One day last week I logged on and the problem was gone (along with many of my saved settings such as saved user names in my mail account and things of that nature).  I believe this was due to a Windows update, but I'm not really sure.  I am very glad to learn that the members of this forum are so generous with their time and suggestions.  Thanks again for all of the ideas.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 6:49 PM
  • The problem was Comcast Constant Guard. When I uninstalled that, the number keys started working normally again.
    Monday, August 22, 2011 6:28 PM