Best topology for second location RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings all, I am trying to figure out the best case scenario for deploying SfB 2015 to a second location.  I will try to give as many details as possible.  I am needing to deploy SfB 2015 at a second location.  This location was purchased by the company I work for and we now need to integrate them into our environment.  We need our people to be able to contact their people as if they were at our facility.  

Location 1 - USA

• SfB 2015 Standard Edition
    • 2 Front End Servers & 2 Edge Servers which are hardware load balanced
    • Full enterprise voice about 300 Users & common area phones

Location 2 - Germany

• About 40 - 50 users
    • Need full SfB experience, IM, extension calling, conferencing, contact searching......
    • There is a solid WAN connection between facilities

Right now we have their users in our SfB 2015 pool but it is a workaround.  Is the best case scenario to put a Front End and Edge server in Germany?  We talked about putting a SBA over there but my boss has apparently decided against that idea.  Our domains are currently separate and I don't think that will be changing anytime soon. 

Monday, April 25, 2016 7:31 PM

Answers

• Is the best case scenario to put a Front End and Edge server in Germany?, Yes, best will be to extend your US network to Germany, Deploy a local DC, S4B Std and a Edge server. Point the dns accordingly. 

Thanks,
    Anoop Karikikuzhiyil Babu | Erstwhile Microsoft Premier Unified Communication Engineer. My blog

Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:32 AM

All replies

• Our domains are currently separate and I don't think that will be changing anytime soon. - Are you talking about active directory domain or just the sip domain here? Is Germany and US  separate AD forest?

Thanks,
    Anoop Karikikuzhiyil Babu | Erstwhile Microsoft Premier Unified Communication Engineer. My blog

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 4:23 AM
  • In case you are talking about two separate forests... You have two choices;

1) User - Resource Forest : Setup trust between the forest and extend Lync\SFB services to the users in user forest. 

2) Setup SFB in the other forest using a different SIP domain, and setup federation between them.

There are pros and cons of both options.. still because first option will give me option to have single address book and SIP domain along with many other features.. i would stick to it! 

www.rtcpedia.com - A real time communications blog

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 7:25 AM
  • Yes, I am talking about two separate forests.  Currently we have a two way forest trust between our two domains.  Sorry for the confusion.  We also have the German users as disabled users in our AD and are using linked mailboxes in Exchange so there is some SfB connectivity between us currently.  

Option 1 Questions:

• Will all German users be homed on the North America (NA) FE server?
    • Will all the traffic have to flow through the NA FE server?
    • Will the users be able to dial extensions?

Option 2 Questions:

• Will the address book be searchable between both locations?
    • Will the users be able to dial extensions?

The two big concerns from upper management in this scenario is that they want the address book to be searchable and to be able to dial extensions of users in either location.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 4:45 PM
  • is it something like this roughly?

Thanks,

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 11:02 AM
  • Yes, that is close, the only difference is the sip address of our German users is def.de

In our current topology I have the default SIP domain as abc.com (US) with additional supported SIP domain as def.de (Germany).  

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 1:17 PM
  • IF I'm not wrong, SBA doesn't support hosting response groups. So if US site falls down, response group wont work for Germany users.

Only solution is setting op new Skype in Germany with full trust.

Since your boss say no, then your current setup is what works best.Best long term solution would be to merge your companies or put users in the cloud (without advanced enterprise voice aka response groups)

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 6:23 PM
  • That's ok, we aren't using response groups anyways.  RGS is broken in our environment and Microsoft support hasn't been able to figure out why.

As of right now we are leaning towards putting our second front end server over in Germany.  Can anyone see a downside to this?

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 6:53 PM
  • Only frontend and no edge in Germany site?

It could cause delay for external users in Germany, since it has to hit Edge server in US.

For RGS issue, try run bootstrapper.exe on your frontend?

This isually fix response group issues, since it will re-create accounts used for routing response group "traffic"

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 7:09 PM
  • Is the best case scenario to put a Front End and Edge server in Germany?, Yes, best will be to extend your US network to Germany, Deploy a local DC, S4B Std and a Edge server. Point the dns accordingly. 

Thanks,

Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:32 AM

• Hi,

If the central forest topology is not accepted, then on Germany you need to deploy a standalone SFB\Lync Server environment, then set federation with the SFB Server environment at USA.

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 29, 2016 6:35 AM