What's happening when Windows freezes or is non-responsive, yet there's no Performance Issues? RRS feed

• Question

• My boss just got a brand-new Dell 64-bit i7 PC with 4 GB of RAM.  A few times this week, his PC has slowed to a crawl (even right-clicking the Task Bar to get the Task Manager menu takes ages to respond).  He asked me to look at it while it was happening, so I checked Task Manager and Resource Monitor, but there didn't seem to be anything, insofar as there was loads of free RAM, very little CPU activity, and very little HDD activity. So, we ended 2 or 3 programs, and everything started working OK.  However, when an i7 CPU is idle, and there's a lot of free RAM, along with very little HDD activity, why is a PC so slow in responding?  If it's a program that's causing a problem, why does the whole PC come to a standstill?  Can't Windows continue to function if 1 program hangs?  I concluded that it was probably Dragon Naturally Speaking that was causing the problem, and when we ended the Process, it seemed to fix the problem.  However, Dragon didn't show in 'Applications' in Task Manager, so we couldn't see that it wasn't responding, and it was just deduction that led me to the conclusion that Dragon was the issue.

To recap

1) Why do some programs not show in Task Manager 'Applications'

2) Why does Windows itself freeze when 1 Program isn't responding--especially with multiple processors?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.

Live Long and Prosper
    Saturday, May 14, 2011 12:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Regarding the first question, this depends on the developer of those programs. Not all of the application will appear in Application Tab. The developer can hide them in application tab. But their Processes must appear in Process Tab.

Regarding the second question, there are a lot of elements can lead this issue. The first step you may try is to boot the computer in Clean Boot to determine whether the 3rd party application cause it. Also, some very old application may not work properly in the new OS, you may consider using XP Mode to run the old programs.

The following link for your reference.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Monday, May 30, 2011 5:59 AM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 9:33 AM