No Text on buttons or in explorer in Win 7 64 bit Home Premium RRS feed

• Question

• This is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit machine with i5 processor & 3GB RAM from Lenovo.

Today when I powered this machine on, it gave an error that machine cannot come out of hibernation because of some problem with "hiberfil.sys ". Though machine got to a good boot. Then I tried disabling & re-enabling hibernation using 'powercfg /fibernate off/on'.

Sent the machine to hibernation but again it could not store with same error. So I executed SFC /SCANNOW

At the end of execution, it showed some messages that it has fixed something & system needs to be rebooted. 

As soon as I restarted the machine, all hell broke loose. 

First of all, it stopped showing the names of users on login windows & there was no text on the login button.. all blank. I was able to enter password & get in. But now, any button, any explorer, task manager.. anywhere THERE IS NO TEXT..!! All blank everywhere

I tries restarting in safe mode to do a system restore. In safe mode, only RUN, Command Prompt & System Restore window is showing text, no where else. So I finally started system restore & selected a restore point, but as soon as I selected to proceed, it is showing me a blank window with an ALERT symbol with no text, & system restore cannot be completed. 

I thought that my Font folder must be having some problem so I navigated there using command window but there are files at C:\Windows\Fonts, though I don't know how to check the integrity. 

In the meantime, the system have shown me BSOD multiple times, mainly related to Win32k.sys & Page_Fault area. 

An early help guys!

Friday, November 30, 2012 5:16 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the answer buddy.

Since I could not see anything on my system, I was not able to collect any dump. As I stated, all fonts are gone, they are not visible.

So I replaces all Windows Font fils from another system & was able to RESTORE my system.

Thanks anyways.

Thanks & rgds, --Vikas

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, December 10, 2012 2:44 AM
    Saturday, December 8, 2012 3:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If your machine keeps BOSD, please collect the dump file to me:

1. Click “Start”, type “%SystemRoot%\Minidump" (without quotation marks) in “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Go to your Desktop, right-click on it and create a new folder named "Dump".

3. Copy all the memory dump files (looks like [Mini092008-01.dmp]) in Minidump to this folder.

4. Right-click on the Dump folder, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

5. Upload to SkyDrive.

Furthermore, you can also try to perform an in-place upgrade to fix system issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 3, 2012 3:44 AM
  • Hi,

How’s everything going? Please feel free to give me any update.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Leo Huang

Friday, December 7, 2012 9:22 AM
  • Thanks for the answer buddy.

Since I could not see anything on my system, I was not able to collect any dump. As I stated, all fonts are gone, they are not visible.

So I replaces all Windows Font fils from another system & was able to RESTORE my system.

Thanks anyways.

Thanks & rgds, --Vikas

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, December 10, 2012 2:44 AM
    Saturday, December 8, 2012 3:47 PM
  • I’m glad to hear that replace Windows Font files can restore your system. Hope your experience will help other community members facing similar problems.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

Monday, December 10, 2012 2:44 AM