Windows cannot complete the extraction. The Destination File cannot be created RRS feed

• Question

• This error message kept comming up when I was trying to open a zipped file. I see previously answered statements online and none of them have a fix. Wth mine one of the files would open in the zipped folders and the rest would not.  I can't accept that the file is corrupted because I was able to open them on another computer with windows 7 with no problems.  It appears to be a problems with Windows 8.1
    Thursday, October 30, 2014 3:34 AM

Answers

• Where did the zip file come from?  Did you download it off the Internet or did you create it in Windows?  If you downloaded it then is it a public file off a recognized archive or public site?

The .zip file format seems to have changed some over the years.  For example you can go to the US Robotics website and download some old zip files of modem INF files dating from 1998 and they won't extract under Windows 7 but will extract under Windows XP.

If you created this .zip under Windows 7 and cannot extract it under Windows 8 that would be of interest I think.  Please try doing that and let us know how it works out.

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, November 10, 2014 1:47 AM
    Thursday, October 30, 2014 6:40 AM
  • Hi,

Where did you want the zip file exacted to? Have you tried to change a location to exact the file for test? If not, please have a try.

How about other ZIP files? Is them have same problem? If not, it should be the zip file problem in your system.

If there is any progress, please feel free let me know.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 31, 2014 7:54 AM

All replies

• Where did the zip file come from?  Did you download it off the Internet or did you create it in Windows?  If you downloaded it then is it a public file off a recognized archive or public site?

The .zip file format seems to have changed some over the years.  For example you can go to the US Robotics website and download some old zip files of modem INF files dating from 1998 and they won't extract under Windows 7 but will extract under Windows XP.

If you created this .zip under Windows 7 and cannot extract it under Windows 8 that would be of interest I think.  Please try doing that and let us know how it works out.

Thursday, October 30, 2014 6:40 AM
  • Hi,

Where did you want the zip file exacted to? Have you tried to change a location to exact the file for test? If not, please have a try.

How about other ZIP files? Is them have same problem? If not, it should be the zip file problem in your system.

If there is any progress, please feel free let me know.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 31, 2014 7:54 AM