Win7 64bit boot , hal.dll missing or corrupt RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I just bought the Windows 7 Professional 64bit. (befor i had Win XP 32bit with SP3) I installed it succesfuly but at startup it writes:

<Windows root> \system32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt. Please reinstall it. 

I reinstalled the whole windows, but now it writes:

<Windows root> \system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt. Please reinstall it. 

If the install DvD is in the DvD-drive there is no prob and the Win7 boot normaly, and after boot i can put it out and win works normal. I tryed to boot from the DvD and run the repair but did not work.

I tryed to run the installed and after in the cmd promt copy the file from the x:\windows\system32\hal.dll to my windows system32 directory but didn't work.

I run the system file check/repair but didn't work.

The second thing that i can't see one of my partition. I have 2 HDDs.  The first is disk 1. This is a sata raid or something like that i dont rely know. And the disk0 what is an older one with normal(older) connection to the motherboard. Win7 is on the disk1. Both HDD have 2 partition but on disk0  i cant see on of my partition. At the installation i saw all 4 part.

Configuration:

Gigabyte M61PME-S2 motherboard

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.6 Ghz

2048 MB Memory

Gigabyte Gforce 9800 GT Videocard

Can anyone help me to resolve this problem please?

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 1:13 PM

Answers

• I tryed the bootrec.exe but did not help.

But now i fixed the problem. So my system partition is on a Sata HDD. I just put sata cabel to SATA_RAID_1  from SATA_RAID_0 and it worked. Normal boot now. Intresting...
    • Proposed as answer by Bubbapcguy Friday, February 19, 2010 11:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:44 AM
    Friday, February 19, 2010 11:08 AM

All replies

• two things the BIOS settings for HDD and boot order are possibly wrong (check them)
    second thing you need to check that the video card you have is compatable with your Motherboard
    AMD is flaky about that.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:06 PM
  • I know some things about computers but i am not sure what i have to check. What can be wrong? And what is right?
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:50 PM
  • in your BIOS look for boot order make sure the correct drive is set as the first boot device (HDD not DVD drive)

if you still can not boot find ahci / ata for the hdd and swap it for the one not being used.

I do not see your card on the list
    http://www.gigabyte.us/FileList/GraphicsCardSupport/motherboard_agp_ga-m61sme-s2.pdf

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 8:27 PM
  • that was the 1. thing what i did to check boot priority. I think there is a problem with boot.ini, but not sure.

By the way what is the problem with my videor card i didnt have any prob with it under xp and  i dont have now. How can it cause this problem?

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:46 PM
  • So are you doing the install as a clean install booting from the DVD drive first?

I have found that when there are two hard drives that the Windows 7 install get fussy.  I just disconnect the drive I won't be installing to and then after I'm done with the install I reconnect it.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:43 AM
  • Yeh.. I did a clean install.. from DVD, but i dont realy want to reinstall now. And maybe that dont help.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:52 AM
  • Szaszk,
    Is this a factory DVD? The corrupted files suggest bad installation media or a bad optical or hard drive corrupting the files. A reinstallation is the only way you can get a stable system. It only takes 25-40 minutes depending on your hardware.

Also, you need to install the SATA/RAID drivers during the installation process, on the page that displays select a drive, there is an add drivers option. You then point that to a floppy or usb with the SATA/RAID files from Gigabyte. The page for your motherboard drivers, revision 1.0 is here. Be sure to get the drivers for the correct revision of your motherboard (there are three, I believe) for Win 7 32-bit and have the other drivers available prior to your installation to make the process easier.

You need those installed whether you use the RAID or do not use it for the correct operation of the motherboard storage controllers with the OS.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:41 PM
  • Windows 7 is installed on the first drive by default. You'd better install it on the disk 0. This means you should configure the disk 0 as the primary drive in BIOS. Or you could disconnect one hard drive and leave only one disk connected, then install Windows 7 on connected drive. Meanwhile, run a command: sfc /scannow to scan the system files as well.

Best Regards
    Dale

Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:04 AM
  • I already run sfc / scannow but with no result. Everyone was ok.  (and yes it is a factory dvd)

I read some topics about this prob and everyone said that an old win xp install cause this problem. (btw once i started in safty mode the menu write only the win xp to chose, but i was win 7) So mabye the boot order of the XP somehow left after i installed win 7. Can it be the problem?
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 11:17 AM
  • Insert Windows 7 installation disc and try Startup Repair to fix boot entries, if Startup Repair can't fix the prolem, please refer to the following KB:

Windows Vista or Windows 7 no longer starts, and the Startup Repair tool does not fix the problem

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

Best Regards
    Dale
    Friday, February 19, 2010 5:58 AM
  • I tryed the bootrec.exe but did not help.

But now i fixed the problem. So my system partition is on a Sata HDD. I just put sata cabel to SATA_RAID_1  from SATA_RAID_0 and it worked. Normal boot now. Intresting...
    • Proposed as answer by Bubbapcguy Friday, February 19, 2010 11:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Saturday, February 20, 2010 4:44 AM
    Friday, February 19, 2010 11:08 AM
  • I've got the same poblem with Windows 8.1 " <Windows root> \system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt. Please reinstall it "

I just change sata cable to 0 from 1 and it's worked !!!!!!

Unbelievable !!!!

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 12:51 PM