none
Dependencies of linked tasks not displaying RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry in advance if this is a silly question I have tried google many times with no success.

I have a customer who is having issues showing the dependencies of linked tasks on the Gantt chart view.

The issue only seems to happen when linking tasks from separate project files. Within a single file it does display the lines and arrows showing the dependence from one task to another.

I suspect it may be something easy like a default view setting.

I've tried a PC with freshly installed Windows 10/7 and freshly installed Project 2016/2010 with the same result.

• Edited by PirateJimz Thursday, November 23, 2017 3:57 AM
    Thursday, November 23, 2017 3:56 AM

All replies

• If you are working inside Project, you need to make sure that these Options settings are set to show external predecessors and/or successors.

If you want to see the full paths, you need to open the schedules in a master project.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Friday, November 24, 2017 2:06 PM
  • PirateJimz --

In addition to the excellent answer given by Gary Chefetz, you should be aware that there was a bug in Microsoft Project 2016 that made the link lines INVISIBLE for cross-project dependencies.  I have confirmed that this bug has been fixed for several months now.  I would recommend that you update your copy of Microsoft Project 2016 with the latest updates to see if this resolves the problem.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Sunday, November 26, 2017 6:49 PM